New wild waters

General fly fishing chat area.
Iasgair
Chub

New wild waters

Post by Iasgair »

Once again we headed to Meeker for our holiday weekend. But this one was a bit different. We fished the White River as always and caught plenty of whitefish and a few rainbows. The first day we were there my son showed this old man how it's done. He caught 8 fish out of the same hole in a short amount of time. I caught one fish and had many refusals.

The second day, this old man had to redeem himself and show the young lad that I can still catch my fair share, and so I did. He was struggling and I couldn't keep them off. I caught a nice thick rainbow that fought like the devil. I thought many times I was going to lose this fish, but the tippet I had tied onto my furled leader held like a champ, as did the hook.

Before we took our trip I was on the computer looking at areas around Meeker that may be accessible to fish, and I found two creeks way up the canyon that I was interested in. So while everyone was at the parade happening in town, I took off to scout these creeks. I ended up finding them and was a bit saddened by the lack of water. This part of Colorado didn't get as much snow this past winter, and it was showing. So I kept driving up the road and found a place to turn around and I noticed it had three signs, so I stopped to take a look. This stretch of river was open to the public and it was about a mile in length. No one was fishing it that I could see. Well, to be honest, at that point in time I couldn't even see the river because of the thick willows and brush. It was like a wall of brush that no human could go through, so I had to look around for an entrance. I soon found one and this is what I saw.

Just a beautiful wild area.

The next day I returned with my son, and we decided to just go in and wet wade. It was a hot day and though the water was very cold, we got used to it quickly and fished on. I soon hooked into a lovely brookie. I thought it was a rainbow at first by the way it fought, but after my son netted it I was happy to see this fish in such great shape.

A few minutes later I was fishing a riffle in the shade of a tree, and I cast a flymph fly and watched the line drift down until it just stopped. I thought I had snagged a rock and tried to get the fly unhooked but no luck. So with the water being low I just walked into the water to unhook my fly by hand. Then all of a sudden the rock swam to the other side. ????????
I lifted my rod tip and kept pressure on what ever it was. As it went down river I chased it and thought for a moment it was a cutthroat, but it was a large whitefish about 20 inches. My net is 23 inches long and this fish fell just short of it.

My son caught his first cutthroat, about 12 inches, but he was very pleased with himself and so was I. I wasn't able to get a photo because he released it too soon for me.

After awhile my son was getting nervous about all the thick willows because we saw a lot of bear scat where we parked. I told him since we had a great day exploring this new area we could go back down river and get out and head back to town. He agreed.
Here's some more photos.

The next time we go to Meeker I will be fishing this area again. This is my type of water and it was challenging enough to make it interesting. I can see why no one fishes it, the thick brush, tricky wading, searching for fish, and bears. I can't wait to return to this beautiful gem of the White River.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Re: New wild waters

Post by Duebel »

The pictures are just stunning! Well done, the both of you!

We've heard a lot about the dramatic heat wave in some parts of the US and Canada. Has it been very bad in Colorado too?
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

That looks like a fantastic place to explore.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Superb installment Iasgair :Thumb: What a beautiful wilderness to be exploring! It looks like you could fish around one bend and pan for gold around the next! Well done to your son on his 1st Cutthroat :Hat:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Excellent. One can't beat fishing wild waters away from the madding crowd! Hey, that sounds like a good title for a novel! :Chuckle:
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Magnificent scenery and great fishing.What more could a man want.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

What a wonderful discovery and some splendid fishing!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Duebel wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:32 am The pictures are just stunning! Well done, the both of you!

We've heard a lot about the dramatic heat wave in some parts of the US and Canada. Has it been very bad in Colorado too?
Its been over 100*F off and on these past few weeks but its been mainly around 90*F with some cooler temps stuck in there. Yesterday got to 100, but today its cooler. We have had good rains here and there but that's just my area of Colorado. The rest of the state is very hot and dry. Rivers and lakes are down and the Colorado River near Greenwood Canyon is low. As it goes along into Utah and Nevada it gets very low. People are saying this is going to be the new normal, so we must get used to it.

We have "hoot owl" rules being put into place because of the low water and the heat. My nephew was telling me the other day on the White River that the Fish & Game is seriously thinking of shutting down the fishing in their area.

I have never seen our waters this low, and I'm not ashamed to say it concerns me. The meteorologists all say to expect another La Nina weather pattern this Autumn and Winter. That's not what we want to hear.

So far, the hottest its been where I live 107* if I remember correctly. But in the state of Washington where in the summer it maybe gets up to 80* for a high temp, it was well over 100*. That's not how its supposed to be there.

Friends, I fear its only going to get hotter every year. This year just seemed to jump up in higher temps, not gradual as before.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Return to “General Fly Chat”