MkIV test curve - later versions?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Cat
Chub

MkIV test curve - later versions?

Post by Cat »

Evening All,
I know there is a post somewhere regarding this, but as I can't find it, what approximately was the test curve of the later B. James MkIV's? No particular reason, it was just something that randomly popped into my head. I assume it was something to do with the quality of the cane becoming available in the late 50's / 60's?
Regards Cat

Aitch
Pike

Re: MkIV test curve - later versions?

Post by Aitch »

I thought that the Avon was 1.2lb and the Carp 1.5lb approx
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

1.5 lb early ones ,2lb late ,I believe.Mike

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

Was the stepped up version the 2lb model ?

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

The step up mk4 is around 3 lb ,I have never owned one but people who have say it was remarkable stiff actions rod ..Mike

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thank you for your replies. Interestingly, I have a rod that is supposed to be a MkIV SU, and indeed, it is a beast of a rod! However, it is either a fake, or whomever did the rebuild made the mistake of spelling Walker as Waker. Steve Woolley had a look at it when I was passing one day and didn't think it was a spelling mistake on a (good) rebuild, but rather someone had naughtily re-branded another rod. Fortunately, although a long story, I didn't pay for the rod, but if Steve is correct, it's interesting the length people will go to. If Steve is incorrect, whomever rebuilt the rod hasn't quite got the fine attention to detail desired. Interesting rod though.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Cat wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:04 pm Thank you for your replies. Interestingly, I have a rod that is supposed to be a MkIV SU, and indeed, it is a beast of a rod! However, it is either a fake, or whomever did the rebuild made the mistake of spelling Walker as Waker. Steve Woolley had a look at it when I was passing one day and didn't think it was a spelling mistake on a (good) rebuild, but rather someone had naughtily re-branded another rod. Fortunately, although a long story, I didn't pay for the rod, but if Steve is correct, it's interesting the length people will go to. If Steve is incorrect, whomever rebuilt the rod hasn't quite got the fine attention to detail desired. Interesting rod though.
Post a few pics - handle , ferrule , rings, script . there will be clues lurking there !

G

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”