A visit to Ashbourne and the Peak District

The Fosters of Ashbourne Forum.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: A visit to Ashbourne and the Peak District

Post by Tengisgol »

Ian.R.McDonald wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:36 am The " padlock " main bridge into Bakewell is not to be missed. Massive rainbow trout and I believe the only wild bred uk strain. Big sign saying " don't feed the birds" and then 10 yds later the shops with signs saying " bird food"!

Too much water this week to see them
It’s a fabulous place, definitely going back. Perhaps the sign is to stop bread being fed and the bird food is the right stuff?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I think its more about the standard link between seagulls and visitors wanting to sit and eat fish and chips. Isnt it amazing how seagulls find chip shops?

There must be a couple of 10lb rainbow which for wild bred is amazing . Look fast before the weight of the "lovers padlocks" drags the footbridge into the river

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I love it around there and have stayed in Buxton several times, touring the area. There are some nice grayling under that bridge by the way :Wink: but I didn't realise the rainbows had naturalised.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Dave Burr wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:28 am I love it around there and have stayed in Buxton several times, touring the area. There are some nice grayling under that bridge by the way :Wink: but I didn't realise the rainbows had naturalised.
I have been told that its the only wild breeding group in the UK. I wonder if its the water or the regular feeding?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Ian.R.McDonald wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:33 am
Dave Burr wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:28 am I love it around there and have stayed in Buxton several times, touring the area. There are some nice grayling under that bridge by the way :Wink: but I didn't realise the rainbows had naturalised.
I have been told that its the only wild breeding group in the UK. I wonder if its the water or the regular feeding?
I doubt they are the only UK breeding group Ian as I have heard of rainbows introduced to lakes breeding in the feeder streams or rivers. On one April day I caught a rainbow in Clatworthy reservoir that I am certain was born there. It was only about 1.5lbs but fought like a demon and had a pronounced kype. Had an introduced fish matured long enough to do this I would have expected it to be much larger. Dave, the bailiff at the time, reckoned that he'd seen a few like it and was certain they were breeding in the inlet stream.

I cannot prove it of course but 'uh life finds a way' to quote a well known dinosaur movie.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I think you are right Dave. A rare case rather than unique being promoted hard locally.

I have walked across the bridge a couple of times and unfortunately (!) the bag of trout pellet has split - amazing to watch the grayling diving in and taking food in front of the enormous rainbows

Wanderer
Brown Trout

Post by Wanderer »

The trout (both kinds) and grayling, also like chips.
The bridge is an excellent place to observe fish behaviour.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Return to “Fosters of Ashbourne Cane Rods”