Edward Barders Non Cane Rods

The Edward Barder Rods forum.
Hovis
Tench

Re: Edward Barders Non Cane Rods

Post by Hovis »

Aquaerial wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:08 am The very thought of it..
I rather suspect the cane he really wants is becoming hard to get.
Indeed - although it's still available to mortals like me and you with a quick Internet search. Edward is much better connected and I suspect he has a great many culms put aside. Given his somewhat modest turn over <30 rods per year rod it wouldn't be difficult to store enough raw materials for a decade or 2.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Edward Barders Non Cane Rods

Post by Snape »

It is partially driven by demand.
Edward has a lot of loyal customers with plenty of money who use both cane rods and black rods. There are plenty of people who find using a cane rod all day is too much or need a rod for which a cane rod is not practical (eg 13+ ft float rod). He buys in top quality blanks and then finishes them to his usual incredible standards, all the machined components are made in his workshop and he uses the finest grade of cork for the handles.
The coarse rods cost £900 which means they are not the most expensive black rods out there.
Each to their own.
I have never owned a black rod (using only glass pre cane) and have no desire to do so. It means there are situations I can't fish but I quite like the restrictions I place on my fishing (only cane rods, centrepins, bait on the hook, minimum terminal tackle etc) as it makes it more of an interesting challenge.
If others want the Barder quality but want a black rod and are happy to pay for it, then good luck to all, I say.
He only makes about 25-30 cane rods per year (mostly fly rods). That's a turn over of about £60,000 - 75,000. How he employs Colin, pays rent for his workshop and still makes a living for himself is beyond me.
He has loads of cane stored and has the ability to source very fine new Tonkin culms.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Edward Barder Cane Rods”