Clarissa/ Ravioli

This forum is for discussing carp.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Clarissa/ Ravioli

Post by Mr B »

I was reading of late of Dick walkers above record Carp.
In my eyes the one and only!
Some were saying she was on display in Chubbs fishings tackle shop Edgware run by Fred Buller after she died in London Zoo.
While others say...
Fred J Taylor came into its possession from Alan lanes shop in Coventry, Billy Lanes son, son, of the great match man himself.
I could spend an age surfing the internet but thought you TFF " Gents" would know about such things.
I am not really a dedicated Carp fisherman but do have a great interest in Fred J and Dick Walker having spoken to them when I was boy, never left me.
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

PeteD
Rudd

Re: Clarissa/ Ravioli

Post by PeteD »

It is still on display in Lane's Tackle in Coventry and has been for many years. It underwent a restoration a few years back as it was starting to look a bit worse for wear. My understanding is that Fred Buller sold it to Lane's in the early 80s.

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I am really pleased to be in the generation that are in awe of this fish

The modern " Krazy Karpers" with TV programmes where nothing clearly 30 lb is not even weighed are missing so much

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Interesting stuff men,
Thanks for that.
And an interesting link! Each cast having an original scale from Clarissa.
I wonder how many casts will sell?

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Still there in Lanes
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Loop Erimder wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:43 am Still there in Lanes
Nice one, thanks for that.
Last time I see it was when I was a kid in 1966 in London Zoo.
Mr B

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

I saw it in Lanes before it was restored and it was a pretty horrible site, a poor taxidermy job and a terrible case.

Thankfully the restored is way better.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

StefanDuma wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:23 pm I saw it in Lanes before it was restored and it was a pretty horrible site, a poor taxidermy job and a terrible case.

Thankfully the restored is way better.
I'm glad its looking better and the casts look interesting...
Quit expensive but then again it's the time it takes and the prestige of owning one.
I'm not sure how I feel about it? Mixed feelings..
An historic day none of the less.

Mr B

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”