Brown trout on a Walker mayfly nymph

General fly fishing chat area.
Martin James
Tench

Brown trout on a Walker mayfly nymph

Post by Martin James »

Another nice session on the river today, no wind, very warm sunshine, with a few olives coming off, I chose to fish a stretch half way down the beat. My tackle was an eight and a half foot fibre glass rod with a 4 weight floating line with a 12 foot tapered leader to a 2lb tippet. I started off by choosing to fish a size 16 Walker mayfly nymph. Once again I chose to fish sitting on the bank, watching for a rise. half an hour later I spotted the first rise, I didn’t cast, I waited about ten minutes for the second rise, then made a cast about thirty five feet allowing the nymph to plop quietly a foot upstream of the rise, it was immediately taken by a good brown trout, after a few powerful runs, I had the fish under control, eventually I netted a fish estimated around one and a half pounds neatly hooked in the scissors. In a three hour session sitting in the same spot, I ended with two and a half brace of trout. During my time sitting quietly on the bank, I was fortunate to see a three Roe deer, a doe with two young bucks, they didn’t seem bothered by me as they slowly passed me no more than twenty feet away. Twice a pair of kingfishers flew upstream, in the tall trees opposite a woodpecker was hammering away. It was great to be at the waterside and enjoy the wildlife.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Brown trout on a Walker mayfly nymph

Post by Tengisgol »

Sounds idyllic Martin! Stuck at home with blinking Covid at the moment so it was lovely to read your write up, I was there sat beside you.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

What a wonderful day, thoroughly enjoyed your emotive write up, thank you. 👍
Last edited by Robbi on Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Lovely account,thanks for the post.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Good angling Martin. Is this the upper Ribble? Or the Hodder?

I used to fish the upper Wyre at Scorton above the falls. The fishing was free for me as the land owner, Jimmy, got tired of chasing me off so made me his water watcher. Wonderful Lancashire trout.....not stocked.so nowadays would be termed wild trout but back then most of the rivers in the North were not stocked.

Also fished at Clapham in that strange county of Yorkshire as I was on the roster for cave rescue fun and frolics, so in between would fish the pocket water there, with the owner turning a blind eye in return for a nice bottle occasionally. The same water today is silly money to fish!

Oh no it looks like I've turned into one of those old fools looking back with rose tinted spectacles......

As ever,.......

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Mid River Ribble, I will be glad to get some warm south westerly wind with rain, currently the river is bare bones with lots of sewage on the bed of the river, hence little fly life.

Carl Hier
Rudd

Post by Carl Hier »

Only just saw your post Martin. Great words. Sounds like the river was a great place to be that day. Aside from the wonderful fish, it’s such a bonus when other waterside creatures show themselves.
It's not just about the fish, if waters are calm or rough, even if the net stays dry, just being there's enough.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Enjoyed that Martin, really nice time there on the bank.
Richard Walker strikes again... I'll have a bash at tying some of them..... and keep my eye out for a fibre glass rod.
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Return to “General Fly Chat”