The National Vintage Fishing Tackle Fair - Sunday 15th May 2022

This is the place where forthcoming events like fishing tackle fairs, game fairs, book launches and similar events can be posted.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: The National Vintage Fishing Tackle Fair - Sunday 15th May 2022

Post by Dave Burr »

It must be three years since I was able to attend a tackle fair, my how I've missed it. Today has made up for the loss of contact with many people and the banter has been a perfect tonic.

For the record, Beechmere lake was playing with his reels, the better than mint Abu Cardinal 55 made me drool. Snape ummed and ahhed whether to
spend a tenner on a cane landing net, but I couldn't prize it from his grip and he dug deep into his pocket. Jeremy Coxhall survived a heart flutter (or was it love) and joined the chat. Hermit and TemeLad and Allrounder stopped to speak and I think I saw Wandle (?) but he was head down and off somewhere.

I spent most of my time at the double act that is Ted and Fredline. I love these guys, and yes, John (Fredline) did say it was his last show..... again. They both kept giving things away, how can you barter when the 'seller' keeps dropping the price? I came away with a cane rod that will be ideal on my tench lake, a couple of perfect floats for the same location and, quite unexpected and jaw droppingly generous, John gave me a medal. Now, I would never consider myself worthy of recognition or awards, but John had acquired a commemorative medal from the 1965 Angling Times National Golden Jubilee match which was won by my namesake 'Dave Burr', so he felt it fitting. Okay, I still don't deserve it but I was touched by John's generocity - bless him.

For anybody I have missed, sorry.

Another great day in paradise.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Dave Burr wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:32 pm It must be three years since I was able to attend a tackle fair, my how I've missed it. Today has made up for the loss of contact with many people and the banter has been a perfect tonic.

For the record, Beechmere lake was playing with his reels, the better than mint Abu Cardinal 55 made me drool. Snape ummed and ahhed whether to
spend a tenner on a cane landing net, but I couldn't prize it from his grip and he dug deep into his pocket. Jeremy Coxhall survived a heart flutter (or was it love) and joined the chat. Hermit and TemeLad and Allrounder stopped to speak and I think I saw Wandle (?) but he was head down and off somewhere.

I spent most of my time at the double act that is Ted and Fredline. I love these guys, and yes, John (Fredline) did say it was his last show..... again. They both kept giving things away, how can you barter when the 'seller' keeps dropping the price? I came away with a cane rod that will be ideal on my tench lake, a couple of perfect floats for the same location and, quite unexpected and jaw droppingly generous, John gave me a medal. Now, I would never consider myself worthy of recognition or awards, but John had acquired a commemorative medal from the 1965 Angling Times National Golden Jubilee match which was won by my namesake 'Dave Burr', so he felt it fitting. Okay, I still don't deserve it but I was touched by John's generocity - bless him.

Thank YOU Dave, both John and myself really enjoyed our extended meet, thank you! :Hat: It was lovely to see you, Kevin (Allrounder) and Jeremy Croxall, I saw Nigel (Snape) several times but we did not speak, likewise if I saw Teme Lad and Wandle we did not speak? Hermit introduced himself and we had a nice chat as we had not met before! Stefan and I had a great chat on the merits of fibreglass and I was happy with what I sold. When I got home I realised I had left three really good fibreglass rods at home, so they will go to Romsey! :Ok: All in all, a really enjoyable morning, thank you to John Andrews for organising it, great fun! Despite John's (very last time) statement, I am confident we will we back next time! :Hat:
Last edited by Lea Dweller on Sun May 15, 2022 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Likewise another enjoyable show - great to catch up with so many forum members. :Thumb:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I had a great day too, so difficult to tear oneself away!!
Good to see the usual band of TFFers at the VTF, quite agree with you Dave, That Abu Cardinal 55 was an absolute stunner....Beechmere Lake is an absolute legend in the art of Abu reel tuning...
Already looking forward to the next one :Thumb:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

RedditchTackleFair
Gudgeon

Post by RedditchTackleFair »

So nice to pop in and catch up with some friends at the Tackle Fair today, it has been a while since I have been able to get up there. It was touching to hear some of the stallholders still recalled the work that went into The Collectors Register and the formation of the Fairs in the UK. I enquired if any one knew of the whereabouts of my partner in crime Bob Bray but he seems to have moved on. John Andrews has done a great job keeping the Fair going and I wish him luck for the future. Good luck also to all the stallholders with your sales and thanks for supporting the Fair.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Lea Dweller wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:22 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:32 pm It must be three years since I was able to attend a tackle fair, my how I've missed it. Today has made up for the loss of contact with many people and the banter has been a perfect tonic.

Thank YOU Dave, both John and myself really enjoyed our extended meet, thank you! :Hat: It was lovely to see you, Kevin (Allrounder) and Jeremy Croxall, I saw Nigel (Snape) several times but we did not speak, likewise if I saw Teme Lad and Wandle we did not speak? Hermit introduced himself and we had a nice chat as we had not met before! Stefan and I had a great chat on the merits of fibreglass and I was happy with what I sold. When I got home I realised I had left three really good fibreglass rods at home, so they will go to Romsey! :Ok: All in all, a really enjoyable morning, thank you to John Andrews for organising it, great fun! Despite John's (very last time) statement, I am confident we will we back next time! :Hat:
What he said.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

It was great to catch up with you Dave and alonga plethora of fishing pals including Nigel, John, Fennel - for any other TFFers I missed then my apologies but hopefully there will be other times. Dave - thankfully you had gone when I got a message through from Kelly to give you a cuddle - I love you man but not that much!

Long may the VTF live on, it’s such a great day and there is always a bargain to be had.

Laters :Hat:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

TemeLAD wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:19 am

It was great to catch up with you Dave and alonga plethora of fishing pals including Nigel, John, Fennel - for any other TFFers I missed then my apologies but hopefully there will be other times. Dave - thankfully you had gone when I got a message through from Kelly to give you a cuddle - I love you man but not that much!

Long may the VTF live on, it’s such a great day and there is always a bargain to be had.

Laters :Hat:
Gutted! Even if it was delivered by you, a vicarious cuddle from Kelly would have made my day..... week. I expect an iou from Kelly by first post tomorrow :Ok:

See you in November matey :Thumb:

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

First I must thank John Andrews for organising it once again. I did speak to many people and unusually managed to buy something nice.

Ted was gracious enough to offer me a two-piece glass fly rod, a 3.5weight 6 ft 1inch, Hardy made Fibertube blank designed by Jon Tarantino. The rod was built by Denis Gander someone I knew reasonably well through tournament casting. I just need a bag, a reel and a line. I have never heard of a 3.5 weight line before.

Return to “Fishing Tackle, Game Fairs and Other Events”