Floats I made 40+ years ago

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Trilob
Chub

Re: Floats I made 40+ years ago

Post by Trilob »

very nice. keep fishing them :)

Polecat501
Dace

Re: Floats I made 40+ years ago

Post by Polecat501 »

Silfield wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:06 pm They have aged incredibly well, I don't suppose you remember what type of varnish you used as it has stood the test of time admirably?
Now that’s a good question! I know it was a water-based wood flooring sealer, from a stately home restoration project locally; they very kindly gave me a small tin of the stuff. Unfortunately, I can’t remember the name, but this would have been in the mid 70’s and I used it until I ran out. The trick was to use several very thin coats, using a fine brush and then put the floats on rotary dryers for the 4 hours or so it took to dry. I had bodged a rotary dryer from a rod varnish dryer, revolved at about 10 rpm, and I think this is the key to getting a really good bond to the quill or cork, other than very careful prep, of course.

I could never get on with dipping floats, in paint or varnish. Yes, it produces a thick coat quickly, but without a commercial kiln dryer I could never get the float varnish or tip paint to dry correctly to remain stable. Maybe that’s why commercial floats look so good but crack and flake so quickly?

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”