The holy grail of rods!!

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Fredline
Tench

Re: The holy grail of rods!!

Post by Fredline »

Mark wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:51 pm Personally I think this is a wind up.
What he said.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Mark wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:51 pm Personally I think this is a wind up.
I think you're right Mark....
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

It's a wind up or a miracle.
RW's father died in 1949 and Dick didn't finalize the MK IV taper until 1950.

Pete

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Maybe Mr Hardwick and his 'humour' will be better served on another forum.

P Hardwick
Minnow

Post by P Hardwick »

The markings on the butt section.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

J. B. Walker of Hythe, Kent most probably.
No relation to Richard Walker I'm afraid but by reputation produced some very nice rods and blanks.
Pete

P Hardwick
Minnow

Post by P Hardwick »

I was sold it as made by Richard Walkers father, i am not bothered if it was made by him or not, it is a lovely rod indeed, i thought the members on here would know it's origin, and many thanks for letting me know.
Regards Paul.

P Hardwick
Minnow

Post by P Hardwick »

Message for Mr Burr, I did not put this thread up trying to either cause problems or as a joke!! I was just excited getting such a lovely rod. If however I have caused a problem ( as your post implies) please explain. Regards Paul.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I guess an earlier photograph would have cleared that up sooner. I agree with Dave that it did appear to be a wind-up as the reasons that it was not as claimed were pretty obvious. Enjoy your rod, it's a good one.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

P Hardwick wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:53 am Message for Mr Burr, I did not put this thread up trying to either cause problems or as a joke!! I was just excited getting such a lovely rod. If however I have caused a problem ( as your post implies) please explain. Regards Paul.
Thank you Paul for finally clearing this up and showing us the photo. Had this been done sooner, comments such as 'it's a joke/wind up' etc would not have appeared. The internet is a strange place and forums are often infiltrated by those with their own agendas, quite why they do it, I do not understand but, as the time continued with no further comment from yourself, I suspected that you had your own motives for claiming to have found the impossible rod. Had that been the case, I suggested that you were in the wrong place as it were and should be removed.

I am however, delighted that the matter is sorted and welcome you with open arms. I bare you no ills and look forward to your future involvement in Mark's excellent forum.

It seems you have been hoodwinked by somebody who is either ignorant of the facts or has a bent for bending truths to snare the unaware. Either way, if you are happy with your purchase, then use it and enjoy it. Every purchase is a learning experience and few get it right each time, happy hunting :Hat:

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”