Precision Rods 11ft 'un-named' match rod

The Precision Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Precision Rods 11ft 'un-named' match rod

Post by AshbyCut »

Yes ... the obsession is still has it's grip on me ... though this one nearly slipped under my radar as the listing title didn't contain any mention of the maker.

Fortunately for me, Bumble's super senses were at their usual keen height ... and he put me onto it's track with a gentle nudge in the right direction.

Soon to be in my care is this 11ft., 3 piece rod ... with whole cane butt and middle sections, and a split cane spliced into whole cane tip. Apparently it weighs in at a tad under 12 ounces (about 330 grammes), but I'll confirm this when it arrives.

Close examination of the photos make me believe that this rod, like other 'match' type rods by Precision in the late 1950's/early '60's, had the whole cane parts finished in a black lacquer ... but this has been removed at some point during a 'restoration.'

It is, however, the only Precision Rods 11ft. example of the whole cane 'match' type I have ever come across (though I do have an "R. Sealey's Tudor Rose" at 10ft 6in). All the rods I have at 11ft 3in and longer, up to 14ft., have sections of Spanish reed. This leads me to think that this one may well be yet another of the 'un-named' bespoke customer orders which I know Bernard Sealey and his son and grandson made through the whole period of the Precision Rods production.

The words 'ideal crucian rod' keep running through the back of my mind. :Wink:

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Re: Precision Rods 11ft 'un-named' match rod

Post by Bumble »

Mal this is a serious piece of cane from one of the great builders and should belong to you.
I keep hearing no bargains anymore really this is a classic example do your homework

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The rod arrived this morning, and I'm delighted with it.

My steel tape shows just over 11ft. in length, but I suggest that this is accounted for by a modern replacement threaded swing tip guide. I may even leave this in place, as my last trip to the bank proved that seeing a float in certain conditions is becoming increasingly difficult due to the cataracts developing in both my eyes over the past 18 months.

One small problem is easily fixed ... a slight 'knock' in the tip section ... which close examination proves to be the need to re-glue the tip into the male ferrule. The ferrules themselves are perfectly fine.

The tip comprises 26 inches (660ml) spliced into 18 inches (457ml) whole cane ... and the centre and butt sections are both one piece whole cane. The whole cane nodes on both sections have been whipped nicely ... and the rod is completely die - straight.

Checking the ratio of split cane to whole cane in the tip I found that on this rod it is 59% split cane to 31% whole cane, compared to a selection of my named model Precision Rods tips which vary from 63% to 37% and 74% to 26%. This suggest to me that it will be perhaps the fastest striking rod of this type which I have. Customer special order ??? Who knows ... we'll never know ... but I have my suspicions.

On my digital scales it weighs in at 12.7oz (360gr).

If this damned heat wave ever ends ... and we get some decent rain to refresh our lakes and rivers ... I'm hoping to christen it on the crucians at Stockton Reservoir !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

My dear friend so glad you like it. It had your name all over it the moment I spotted it. When you decide to go to Stockton let me know I will try and join you for a few hours.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

AC - you will need a good netsman when you go to Stockton - as my credentials in that role are well known to you let me know when you are heading to Stockton and I will do my best to be there. I assume you will be fishing your usual peg?

Without doubt a fine looking rod that a 2lb + Crucian would be delighted to be caught upon.

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”