Willow Pitch VI – Crucian Renaissance

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Catfish.017
Eel

Re: Willow Pitch VI – Crucian Renaissance

Post by Catfish.017 »

Dave Burr wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:57 pm So it is just me then :tea:
No Dave I'm with you on this. The pectoral fin on the left (the fishes right hand one) is shown too long. If it was depicted with only half its length showing the balance would be correct. All rather pedantic really but there it is.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Here’s an interesting thing. I’m not entering a discussion about whether that particular illustration is right or wrong but this is what happened to me. Many, many years ago I had a really big issue in my head with the roach illustration (Chris Turnbull) on the back of The Gentle Giants. It just looked wrong to me. Then one day I came across a shoal of roach on the river Roding including a couple that were monsters - potentially two pounds or more. I watched those fish for ages very close up (it was closed season and they were in the flow after spawning). I then realised that Chris has actually managed to capture those roach in the water perfectly in his illustration. It was me that had it wrong because I had never seen a fish like that before in the water and in a current. He had been right all along.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Chris’s illustrations are stylised - I think it’s a marmite affair, you either like them or you do not and regardless of a natural context. I’m not sure about them personally, when you produce something in such detail it opens the door to speculation. The preference for me is along Maurice’s line of illustration. His work evokes the seasons and the magic of change through them.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Leigh
Dace

Post by Leigh »

Pallenpool wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:36 am Chris’s illustrations are stylised - I think it’s a marmite affair, you either like them or you do not and regardless of a natural context. I’m not sure about them personally, when you produce something in such detail it opens the door to speculation. The preference for me is along Maurice’s line of illustration. His work evokes the seasons and the magic of change through them.
I'm not sure if Maurice is a member of this forum? But agree about his artwork. I read an article he produced in Anglers Mail about how he produces his material, I wish I could sit with him for the day.
@theimperialangler

Carl Hier
Rudd

Post by Carl Hier »

Just to add, I have Chris Turnbull’s book Reflections and have always greatly admired his artwork and sketches. In particular, colour works of a Barbel (cover of his book) and double-page image of Tench, I’ve always viewed as first-class. I enjoy (very amateur) sketching but generally need to ‘copy’ another image. For anyone to achieve the scale, colours, the imagery of water and level of detail that he does, I think is extremely impressive ✅.
It's not just about the fish, if waters are calm or rough, even if the net stays dry, just being there's enough.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Unless it’s a grayling !?!? (Smiley face)
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Mark.
My copy has just arrived, I can't wait to start reading, it looks very good indeed

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”