Ernest Hemingway's favorite

This section of the forum is for all you fly tying enthusiasts.
Iasgair
Chub

Ernest Hemingway's favorite

Post by Iasgair »

I'd like to share with you a fly that has been around since 1928 tied by a man named Taylor "Beartracks" Williams, from Idaho. Other people have been claimed to be the first to tie this fly, but not true.
As the title states, this fly was Ernest Hemingway's favorite trout fly and he was the one who started the legend of this simple little fly. He took this fly everywhere he fished if he was fishing for trout species.

So what does this pattern imitate? No one really knows, but most will say it resembles a cluster of midges. Ok, why not? All I know is this fly works very well and is sometimes the game changer when all other flies are not working. Also, Alaska Grayling have a taste for this fly as well as I have read in a few reports.

Some would think a Coachman or Elk Hair Caddis would work as well as the Renegade, and maybe so, but when these two other flies fail, desperate times calls for desperate measures. Fish the Renegade.

I have fished this fly in creeks and larger rivers and it has always performed well for me. Why I don't always carry this fly with me is something I should ask myself more often. Better yet, just keep them in my box, no question asked.

So lets tie this fly. And believe me, I will mess up these instructions somewhere because this is the first time I have done a tutorial online. So please be patient with me.

Step 1.
These are the materials you'll need.
Cream or white dry fly hackle
Brown dry fly hackle
Peacock herl
Gold tinsel
Black 8/0 thread
Hook of your choosing

Step 2.
I'm using a Partridge SUD hook size 12. Wax the thread and start about an eye length behind the eye and wrap back half way.

Step 3.
Tie in the gold tinsel and wrap back just beyond the bend of the hook. I personally like the gold hologram tinsel for that extra sparkle.

Step 4.
Wrap the tinsel up along the bend of the hook and tie it off. Then wrap the thread up to the starting point behind the eye. This will keep the tag tied in tight.

Step 5.
Now bring the thread back to where you tied in the tinsel and this is where we tie in the brown hackle. So place the stem of the hackle to the near side and tie it in. Give about 4 to 6 turns of hackle depending on the length of the hook shank. I generally do 5 turns.

Step 6.
Now we tie in two or three strands of peacock herl. Clip the ends off the herl and place them on top of the shank and tie back towards the brown hackle. Glue down the herl and then wrap the herl back up the shank to make the body. Then we tie in the white or cream hackle. This is where I messed up. :Chuckle:

Step 7.

After the white hackle is tied in make the head of the fly and give 3 or 4 whip finishes and finish it off by adding head cement.

That's it. Simple little fly that should always be in your box.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Re: Ernest Hemingway's favorite

Post by Mr B »

Love it!
Being a Hemingway aficionado, I know just were you are coming from.
Definitely one I will have a bash at this winter.
I have a list-of his favourite flys s"somewhere... MC Ginty rings a bell. I think we might have spoken about this before a few years ago.
Great photos mate, and the end product looks great! I think our Chub would enjoy that not to mention the Trout.
Thanks for sharing that winner...
Mr B.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Please excuse my ignorance but is this fly a wet or dry fly, im going to guess its a dry fly but have no idea.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:15 pm Please excuse my ignorance but is this fly a wet or dry fly, im going to guess its a dry fly but have no idea.

Thanks
BB
It's technically a dry fly. But what's fantastic about this fly is you can twitch it to make it dive under the surface and it still catches fish subsurface.

You can also use wet fly hackle, hen hackle that is, and fish it as a wet fly.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

I must apologize to my friend Watermole+. I accidently deleted his post to this thread on the Renegade from my phone because things weren't working as well as I would have hoped for due to not using Wi-Fi.

My apologies Leszek. :Hat:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Great looking fly, I can see it working on the Scottish lochs so I might tie a few myself.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Thanks for showing us how to tie this fly iasgair,and in an easy to follow way. This will make a good pattern when “the big flea” is hatching,and like Santiago says,it would make a good loch fly.

Ian
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Return to “Fly Tying”