The Lightning Thread

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Carl Hier
Rudd

The Lightning Thread

Post by Carl Hier »

This may well have been referenced already by others so apologies if I’ve not seen previous posts.
Thought I’d share that I’m currently reading the above by David Profumo.
I’ve enjoyed many different books over the years from many different authors, covering many styles of fishing.
Whilst David Profumo undoubtedly has a way with words and has made me smile at times, I’ll be honest and say I’m finding it difficult to relate to a lifestyle and it’s related fishing exploits, that are borne out of a very different upbringing to mine. Fishing of course is a great leveler irrespective of background, personality and lifestyle, just found this one more difficult to fully ‘enjoy’.
Wondered what other thoughts were out there on this one or is it just me?
It's not just about the fish, if waters are calm or rough, even if the net stays dry, just being there's enough.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: The Lightning Thread

Post by Olly »

There once was a member of this Forum - who gave up both his membership here and on a salmon syndicate water 'because of the coarse anglers'.

So expect differences some anglers do have or are alleged to have! We share - or most do - a sport.

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

He can write, but there is a touch of Downton Abbey about it. I have only managed a couple of chapters, but I will go back to it.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Carl Hier
Rudd

Post by Carl Hier »

Good words Deaf Cat. ‘Downtown Abbey’ sums up the general flavour.
I would absolutely acknowledge the author’s undoubted capability and I too will eventually finish the book.
It's not just about the fish, if waters are calm or rough, even if the net stays dry, just being there's enough.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”