Hook Size Palaver's!

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Hook Size Palaver's!

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Korum hooks do tend to be on the large side. I like their specimen type hooks but just buy a size smaller than usual.
For hooks in the smaller sizes i buy drennan which are more true to the original hook sizes we all grew up with.

Wal.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

MWithell wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:22 am On waters with a maximum hook size (like the one I've been fishing this week) it would be useful to know the hooks that run big. If anyone queries the size you can just show the packet. Where I am there's a maximum of size 12.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Mmmm, something went wrong there?
Long reply got lost????
Never mind....
Cutting a long reply short...

I know my old school size's so I wont get hooks on line and stick to my local tackle shop.
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

I have used Drennan Specimen hooks for a long time and I believe the sizes have been consistent for decades. So for hooks that I tie direct to the main line , when fishing for bigger fish it’s always the Drennan hooks in sizes 4 to 10 dependant on baits.
For smaller fish where I use sizes 10 to 16 , I buy the hooks already to nylon of various makes and I agree there is a considerable variation in size for hooks that are 12, 14,16.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Mr B wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:41 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:59 pm That's remarkable Snape, I well remember the old Sundridge hooks and, like you, I never used a size 2 as they were massive. What make are those you compare to it?

Mr B, when this has come up before it's been suggested that the scale relates to the distance between to hook point and the shank. The hooks you've bought are almost circle hook patterned so the hook tip is turned in and closer to the shank. But, when you look at Snape's hooks, that theory goes for a ball of chalk.

I think I'll stop buying hooks online.
Yes, I know just what you are all saying.
I like to support my local tackle shops when I can.. and, yes, I just walk round a pick up a packet of hooks that I think will do.
Buying on line has its advantages ( unfortunately) but when comes to hooks... this is the last time, but it was done in desperation to save the postage cost.
The hooks look good though and I am very pleased with the landing net!
I remember going into my local tackle shop when was a young teenager and getting little boxes of Mustard hooks 100 at a time for a pittance and they were always good and true to size, had a print of a key on them if I am not mistaken?
Oh for the good old tackle shops.
A box like this?Image

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Catfish.017 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:25 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:59 pm That's remarkable Snape, I well remember the old Sundridge hooks and, like you, I never used a size 2 as they were massive. What make are those you compare to it?

Mr B, when this has come up before it's been suggested that the scale relates to the distance between to hook point and the shank. The hooks you've bought are almost circle hook patterned so the hook tip is turned in and closer to the shank. But, when you look at Snape's hooks, that theory goes for a ball of chalk.

I like to support my local tackle shops when I can.. and, yes, I just walk round a pick up a packet of hooks that I think will do.
Buying on line has its advantages ( unfortunately) but when comes to hooks... this is the last time, but it was done in desperation to save the postage cost.
I remember going into my local tackle shop when was a young teenager and getting little boxes of Mustard hooks 100 at a time for a pittance and they were always good and true to size, had a print of a key on them if I am not mistaken?
A box like this?Image
Thats the box! Some were come in an orange/ red colour to. Haven't seen a box like that for years!
Mr B

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Mr B wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:18 am
Catfish.017 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:25 pm

A box like this?Image
Thats the box! Some were come in an orange/ red colour to. Haven't seen a box like that for years!
Mr B
I can't remember how they arrived with me, probably a job lot, but they're a brilliant hook. Not too heavy in the wire, forged , down turned eye,slightly offset and a good gape to shank length ratio. I wish I could find some more in different sizes although the 12 I have is a good compromise for many situations. I use them for Tench and Chub with flake and three maggots or worm for Roach and Perch.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”