Fettling a bobbin.

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Grumpy
Arctic Char

Fettling a bobbin.

Post by Grumpy »

One of my great pleasures in the Autumn and Winter is fishing into darkness for Roach and Chub using a quivertip.I usually clip an isotope to the tip to see the bites but there is a problem,that of "dancing" isotopes.As there is no datum to gauge any movement of the isotope it can appear to move when its not and vice versa.A solution is to use two isotopes placed about a foot apart to give a reference point,this does work but can still be a strain on the eyes.A torch could be shone on the tip but I don't like too much light when fishing in the dark.
What I needed was a lightweight bobbin that can be fixed to the front rod rest so the bobbin doesn't fly off into the undergrowth when striking.
Yonks ago I bought three cheapo bobbins to use for Tench fishing,they work fine for Tench but weighing an ounce they are too heavy for what I wanted so some fettling was reqd.As I never use three rods one could be adapted.The original is on the left side of the pic.
The steel weight was unscrewed from the main body,luckily a 3/8 bsf thread and the ball chain removed from the little gizmo that attaches to the rod rest.I found an old plastic rod rest head,removed the threaded part and drilled a hole to take some 30lb braid.One end of the braid was tied to the threaded part,the other end to the gizmo.Job done,when weighed on my grain scales the bobbin only weighs 1/4 of an ounce,perfect!
As the bobbin is hollow extra shot if reqd can be popped inside or an isotope put in for those really dark nights.
So if you suffer from "dancing" isotopes this could be the solution.
Best wishes,
Grumpy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Trilob
Chub

Re: Fettling a bobbin.

Post by Trilob »

Looks like that should work fine. I think replacing the red part with a piece of bamboo might look good as well. Not sure if that weights too much though...

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Trilob wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:19 pm Looks like that should work fine. I think replacing the red part with a piece of bamboo might look good as well. Not sure if that weights too much though...

I have made several bobbins from cane, with the cane forming a tube to take various different weights ,they work very well, I also made a couple that take different weights and had small battery lights in the tops.There are photos elsewhere on here .

The one thing that does occur to me though when using them is the fiddly chain that attaches to the rod rest, It has its uses in that it prevents the bobbin from vanishing into eternity should it be flicked off the line. For my bobbins it does not provide any weight as such because they have their own internal weight system.

I was sat thinking about these some time ago, when I had a bit of a eureka moment, thanks to Martin James.

Martin uses plasticine as a sinker, it has all sorts of uses, it can be made lighter or heavier just by adding or removing a bit of the “stuff”I also use plasticine as above as a sinker weight occasionally if the dircumstances require it .

It occurred to me that it can be also used very usefully as a bobbin, the weight can be increased or decreased as above and even more useful because you can easily stick an isotope or one of the cheap disposable rod tip lights that are readily available into the plasticine.

The plasticine easily moulds around your line and grips it tight enough to be a good butt bobbin indicator, when you get a bite the plasticine just pulls of the line easily. The isotope or whatever stays in the plasticine to be used again. If by chance you do lose the plasticine it is not an expensive job replacing it at all.

No real fettling involved , in fact it seem to be one of the easiest of all ways to make a very functional and “ old school “ bobbin indicator.

David .
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I used plasticine long ago before the monkey climber - - however it was and still would be a pain. Trying to find a bobbin without or with the starlight in the dark is impossible! And when you get a dozen bites in one night - very expensive!

Ok in the day but bits of red and yellow plasticine lying about is not good for the environment surely? Hence the cord/chain/lead core fly line to keep the bobbin. As to the Starlight I had a kitten bite one and it was later put to sleep due to the internal damage to the kitten - never forgotten that!

Weights ca be increased and decreased by the specific weights that can be attached. A hollow tube could be filled with non-toxic used shot or small ledger weights and again be balanced to whatever you require,

Bread paste was my bobbin in the '60's - pastry was second choice as it can, like bread, be coloured! Or knitting needles with tin foil! Oh forgot - the paraffin lamp! :Hat:

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Good idea Grumpy, should work a treat.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

My first non dough-bobbin was a biro tube with a hair grip protruding from the top for line attachment and the bottom for the retaining cord.

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

I fettled one by using the line clip as shown in the post ,a orange or white ping pong ball ,cord and split shot.Small pole winder and velcro straps
Use a small drill bit to make a centre hole for the cord.
Attach the cord to the clip and thread the other end of the through the ball.
Pull the clip down to the ball and then squeeze a shot normally AAA onto the cord and lock this upto the underside of the ball to lock everything in place.
Optional-wind the loose end of the cord on to the winder to the required length.
attach the winder to the front or rear rest with the the velcro straps.
I find it makes a sensitive ,versatile bit of kit.As always it all else fails a dough bobbin will save the day!

Enjoy whatever you use.-Nige

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I still have/use 3 orange pingpong balls from the 70/80s - - excellent as drop-offs when piking - hair grips are adjustable!

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

I still have my fairy liquid tops...
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

I built these some time ago. I wanted a traditional design which gave all the attributes of a modern indicator.

They are built from Champagne corks with the centres drilled out from below and a threaded bolt bonded inside. Onto the hidden bolt various weights can be screwed on to suit conditions or fishing style. The last one has an articulating connector featuring a swivel. To this is attached a fine Dacron cord and thence either attached to a banksticks or pinned into the ground. A slot is machined in for an isotope. I also have a mk2 version which takes a rechargeable light courtesy of a well known known auction site. Ball type line clips in different colours (red, white,blue) match any bite engines which maybe used :Thumb:

:Hat:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”