Weigh-scales accuracy

This is the place where forthcoming events like fishing tackle fairs, game fairs, book launches and similar events can be posted.
SussexMan
Bleak

Weigh-scales accuracy

Post by SussexMan »

I recently purchased an old Avon scales and an old Salter too. Does anyone have advice on the most accurate way to assess their accuracy? There was a time (I'm a very old man...) when one could drop into the local Trading Standards Weights & Measures Office and do the testing with high precision. These days the Office's inspectors seem to have been whittled down by repeated spending-reviews so that visiting them is out of the question.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Weigh-scales accuracy

Post by Olly »

3 X 4oz leads in plastic bag = 12oz.
Or 4 x 4oz = 1lb = 16oz.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Weigh a bag of sugar,a kilo bag of sugar weighs 2lbs and 3-1/4 ounces( within a few dramms) or should do if the conversion tables are correct.

I have a lump of cast iron that I took to the post office, they weighed it on their scales and it weighs 6lbs 7oz, that is what I check my Avons and battery scales against… the Avons are always within an ounce or two , which is near enough for me.

David.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

For a start you could hook them together and see if they both give the same reading when you pull. At least that would show any discrepancy between them although of course it wouldn't check their accuracy.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

My local greengrocer uses scales for pricing. They have to be tested for accuracy because they are charging by weight. The receipts they print, gives the weight of every item. I use these weights to test mine. Interestingly, our Salter kitchen scales are accurate to 1g in 2kg. (they also weigh in pounds). My brass 4lb salter spring balance is accurate to 1/4oz. My modern digital ones are OK up to about 10lb, after that, they drift a lot.

I'm sure your local butcher or greengrocer, if you are on good terms, would weigh a sample weight for you.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I tare off a suitable container and use various measurements of water. My Avons are OK but my Ruben Heatons were found to go way out under large loads, so they got moved on. I carry a set of Fox digitals on the boat . I do have are a very accutate and expensive digital set but they're 'too good' to live in my tackle bag! They stay in their case in the car to be brought out on only the most special of occasions :Sun:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have a set of scales that weighed a record Golden Orfe. When checked for accuracy they were 1/2oz out!

Great - but they are the size of Match Scales, a nightmare to carry about regularly!

Unless it is a record - - I am not too worried about an ounce or so!

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

I find lead weights too variable. Two methods: use something (bag of sugar, rice, pasta etc) preweighed on eectronic kitchen scales or tare on a contaoner and add water to it (1 litre = 1 kilo).
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Or , a pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter as my mother taught me .

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I use water as 1 litre = 1kg or 1 pint = 1lb 4oz
I have used an old 5L bottle with a handle and weighed it full on kitchen scales at about 11lb then weighed it on my fishing scales.
Then do multiple weighings at a range of weights.
Another way is full food cans. Weigh them individually and stacked on kitchen scales and use a light weight supermarket plastic bag to hold various numbers of them.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Fishing Tackle, Game Fairs and Other Events”