Oliver's of Knebworth rod sleeve/label

The Oliver's of Knebworth Rods forum.
GreenFrogs1
Stickleback

Oliver's of Knebworth rod sleeve/label

Post by GreenFrogs1 »

I recently bought an Oliver's of Knebworth Specimen rod. A MKIV style two piece. I am intending on having the rod restored. When I bought it, it came in a rod sleeve, with a faded and unrecognisable label. I'm wondering if anybody happens to know, if this is the correct sleeve for this rod, or even what an Oliver's label looks like for a rod sleeve. The sleeve the rod came with, fits the rod properly and it a very fine blue and black check. If this is the correct sleeve, which is in good condition, then I may well not bother having another made, when having the rod restored.

Any information and photos of an Oliver's sleeve/label, greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Giles

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Oliver's of Knebworth rod sleeve/label

Post by Lea Dweller »

GreenFrogs1 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:11 am I recently bought an Oliver's of Knebworth Specimen rod. A MKIV style two piece. I am intending on having the rod restored. When I bought it, it came in a rod sleeve, with a faded and unrecognisable label. I'm wondering if anybody happens to know, if this is the correct sleeve for this rod, or even what an Oliver's label looks like for a rod sleeve. The sleeve the rod came with, fits the rod properly and it a very fine blue and black check. If this is the correct sleeve, which is in good condition, then I may well not bother having another made, when having the rod restored.

Any information and photos of an Oliver's sleeve/label, greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Giles
The only genuine Oliver's of Knebworth rod bags that I have ever seen were distinctive Khaki coloured with red ties and poppers (many were not labelled!) . The last cane rod I bought from Ted Oliver was in a brand new 'Hardy/Gordon's' bag as Mr Oliver explained that he could no longer get the original khaki bags ? :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Of course rod bags come and go, get lost, replaced, mixed up etc I have a pair of Olivers tench rods in fibreglass that came in a rather unusual 4 section double rod bag. I've no idea if this is original or a later replacement. It's a fawn/khaki colour with matching ties. I havd a 1 3/4lb tc carbon Olivers that came in a black bag with green ties. Neither of these bags have labels. Ted 'Lea Dwelller' will undoubtedly have seen more examples of Olivers rods than I as he's a tackle sleuth of considerable repute :holmes: :Sun:

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Liphook wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:00 pm Of course rod bags come and go, get lost, replaced, mixed up etc I have a pair of Olivers tench rods in fibreglass that came in a rather unusual 4 section double rod bag. I've no idea if this is original or a later replacement. It's a fawn/khaki colour with matching ties. I havd a 1 3/4lb tc carbon Olivers that came in a black bag with green ties. Neither of these bags have labels. Ted 'Lea Dwelller' will undoubtedly have seen more examples of Olivers rods than I as he's a tackle sleuth of considerable repute :holmes: :Sun:
Thank you Alistair, I know for a fact that when the 'regular' Khaki with red ties and poppers Oliver's bags ran out, Ted Oliver was reluctant (probably because of the cost) to try to source more. As I said before, I know that he supplied some later rods in Hardy/Gordons bags, so for other later rods he maybe used whatever came to hand? :Hat:
Confucius

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Have a look here there's a few pictures of Oliver's rods and also a bag label :Hat:
http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/VintageRods_Olivers.asp
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

GreenFrogs1
Stickleback

Post by GreenFrogs1 »

ImageImageImageHere are a couple of photos of the rod sleeve and the rod. As you can see from the photo the label is no longer identifiable in anyway. I think this rod is pre the Olivers Of Knebworth era of Rods.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

GreenFrogs1 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:08 am ImageImageImageHere are a couple of photos of the rod sleeve and the rod. As you can see from the photo the label is no longer identifiable in anyway. I think this rod is pre the Olivers Of Knebworth era of Rods.
The rod bag is definitely not from Oliver's, but the rod is indeed 'Special' I know for a fact that Don's of Edmonton were supplied with blanks and rods by Ted Oliver. Your rod would seem to be an early example as the Don's Edmonton black writing is identical to that of a MK IV Carp rod that I once owned (My rod did not have any reference to Oliver's on it! ) but it was the best cane carp rod I have ever owned and used! :Hat:
Confucius

GreenFrogs1
Stickleback

Post by GreenFrogs1 »

It is even in its unrestored state a lovely rod, it feel great in the hand. I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished results with the restoration. Something that can hopefully be started upon by the NY.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

GreenFrogs1 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:32 pm It is even in its unrestored state a lovely rod, it feel great in the hand. I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished results with the restoration. Something that can hopefully be started upon by the NY.
Having looked again at the pictures of the rod bag, it may well be from E.T.Barlow of Thames Ditton? :Hat:
Confucius

Return to “Oliver's of Knebworth Cane Rods”