W. J. Cummins, Bishop Auckland

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Re: W. J. Cummins, Bishop Auckland

Post by Mr B »

Enjoyed that, nice read and a little bit of angling history and a great portrait.
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Dave F
Grayling

Post by Dave F »

Thanks for posting. A little bit of history that I can now relate to my Cummins rod.
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Wally Roy
Roach

Post by Wally Roy »

Interesting reading.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A bit more info on the Anglo American in this Cummins catalogue. Not sure of the date.
ImageImage

In the early 1950s Cummins employed W Edminson to make certain rods which were considered the best available.
ImageImage

A reply letter from W Edminson while working at Cummins.

W Edminson also worked for Fosters in Ashbourne, hand making rods using his Edminson method. This method was passed on to other rod builders who worked there at the time. I believe the hot pressed nodes so commonly referred to as an invention of Bob Southwells was actually part of the Edminson method of rod building.
Wal..

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I haven't seen any mention of gut wrapping anywhere Rod. I wonder if it was requested by the buyer or maybe an experiment.
I have seen Fosters rods with wire wrapping in a criss cross fashion. Supposedly giving the rod extra strength or preventing the rod from taking on a set. Not sure if it does anything but add weight or maybe perceived value.

There was a connection between Cummins and Hardy at one time. Possibly Cummins rod dept were finishing Hardy rods when demand was excessive. It was in a local newspaper interview with one of the Cummins family, possibly his daughter. I did have a copy but it vanished.

The Bishop Auckland shop was a great place to visit.
As a boy I could easily spend an hour just looking in the windows. Of course I had buy something, even if it was just a few hooks or a box of airgun slugs, pocket money well spent.

Wal.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

It could read like a tff outing. There needs to be space for food and drink consumed.

Wal.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”