Bibiophile!

This section of the forum is for all you fly tying enthusiasts.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Bibiophile!

Post by Santiago »

These are my latest attempts at fly tying . The top two on the left are Claret Bumbles, and the rest are various tyings of my favourite fly , the Bibio, which is supposed to be a representation of the Heather fly. It's origins are Irish, but also works very well on Scottish lochs. On my last visit to Scotland I only took two Bibios (along with lots of other flies) and had a trout on within the first few casts before losing one of them on a very shallow reef. This left just a blue variation which also fished well and better than all the other flies I tried. So this next visit I plan to take quite a few. I'll also make a muddler version .

The tying is quite simple . Hooks size either am size 8 or 10, run fine black silk down the shank, tie in some fine silver tinsel, twist onto the thread a small amount of black seal fur and wind on, followed by a small amount of fluorescent red seal fur, then another patch of black seal fur. Then tie in a small black cock hackle and palmer down the shank, and then secure this by winding the tinsel up the shank. Tie off the tinsel and then tie in another hackle at the head, of black, blue or red, with three turns. Tie off this last hackle and form the head etc.etc. For a less dressed version of the black, I just used the one black hackle with three turns at the head and the rest spread down the body. And the top right fly is a claret bibio, as an experiment, with claret hackle for the body and a black one at the head.

These are less bushy than the ones I tyed last year but I'm more confident that they'll catch.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Re: Bibiophile!

Post by Sussex Micky »

They look beautiful, and bound to catch , very well made ! :Hat:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers ! I do hope so !

Hemingway

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Trevor, they look great. Only a mad fish would turn its nose up at those.

Wal.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Well tied, Santiago. At times less bushy flies do very well and I'm sure these will not disappoint you.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks, I'll report back on how they fish sometime in July when I'm back from Scotland . This visit I'm going with my son to a few really remote lochs near the west coast in the vicinity of the Torridons . I 'm now trying to get fit and lose weight so all the hiking is a tad easier .

Hemingway

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Superb, well done :Hat:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Nicely tied collection Santiago. They should catch you plenty of those wee wild broonies.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Ian wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:26 pm Nicely tied collection Santiago. They should catch you plenty of those wee wild broonies.
Cheers , they're not that fussy where we're going and probably haven't seen a fly for several months so hopefully we'll catch. A bit of fluff would probably suffice !

Hemingway

Return to “Fly Tying”