Arun... Does this look right?

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
Wakou
Rudd

Arun... Does this look right?

Post by Wakou »

Hi guys, I have seen this for sale, £50.00 (to inc a Mitchell reel). I believe it to be a Marco Arun. Does the tip section look about right? It looks quite stout to me. I have asked for better pictures..

Duckett
Tench

Re: Arun... Does this look right?

Post by Duckett »

Difficult to say much from that image but, judging by length and what I can see of the tip ring, it looks to me as if it’s lost a couple of inches from the tip.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Yes, as above, to short.
I have a couple of Aruns, some Aruns came with an extra tip that was shorter, shorter than your one.
The extra tip I understand was to shorten the rod if you needed a bit more power.
Mr B.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

OldAngler
Perch

Post by OldAngler »

If you like it try an offer.

It has been on (unmentionable) for a couple of weeks at £60 and was reduced yesterday or Monday.

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

He he! No flies on you lot! I have signed up to meet some of you at the gonk-fest, and also with "Grumpy" (home-game) on the Chelmer.. I have a confession..Mea culpa, Mea culpa, Mea maxima culpa! I do not own a wooden rod! (There, I have said it, and feel much relieved!). I wondered if this might be a usable float/light-leger rod?

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Wakou wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:52 pm He he! No flies on you lot! I have signed up to meet some of you at the gonk-fest, and also with "Grumpy" (home-game) on the Chelmer.. I have a confession..Mea culpa, Mea culpa, Mea maxima culpa! I do not own a wooden rod! (There, I have said it, and feel much relieved!). I wondered if this might be a usable float/light-leger rod?
Fear not, it’s not compulsory. About a third of my vintage rods a fibreglass and a couple combine the two materials! I suppose my real passion is very early glass.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Thank you @Duckett (Phil) I am just about old enough to remember cane rods with new-fangled "fibre-glass" tips..
I am loving getting used to 'pins, and my only old rod is a 1966 'glass "Hardy by Gordon's" Matchman. Currently in the tender care of Fredline of this parish..

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Hardy also made the Mitre range, some of which were a mix of glass and cane... I have a Zephyr with a glass butt and cane middle and tip
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”