Best float for lift method?

This forum is for discussing the Lift Method.
Duckett
Tench

Re: Best float for lift method?

Post by Duckett »

OldRod wrote: ↑Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:09 pm I have tried lift without much success.
I am wondering do you knowledgable ones vary the distance of the bottom shot from the hook depending on how finicky the bites are?
In the same sense as changing tell tale shot when normal float fishing, or link length when legering?
I regularly vary the distance between an inch and about 5 inches until I start hooking ……. mind you, I blank a lot however I fish πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

I also change float to vary the size of shot required to sink it.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Duckett wrote: ↑Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:57 pm
OldRod wrote: ↑Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:09 pm I have tried lift without much success.
I am wondering do you knowledgable ones vary the distance of the bottom shot from the hook depending on how finicky the bites are?
In the same sense as changing tell tale shot when normal float fishing, or link length when legering?
I regularly vary the distance between an inch and about 5 inches until I start hooking ……. mind you, I blank a lot however I fish πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

I also change float to vary the size of shot required to sink it.

Phil
Thanks for that info Phil.
We are as one regarding blanking!
Keith
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Grumpy wrote: ↑Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:34 pm I tend to use a bodied antennae in any sort of breeze.I may be barking up the wrong tree but I think the extra bouyancy in the base of the float causes the lifts to show up more positively.In really calm conditions or close in I also like to go with a quill.
The real trick is to get the shotting just right as Tench can be the most finicky rascals.
If I can add some thoughts to your theory Grumpy. I do appreciate that a heavier float should pop up quicker but there are other factors involved. The heavier the float, the more direct the line to your telltale shot, in the extreme case, it would be a vertical line. Trust me, your line between float and hook can spook some fish. With a lighter float, this line can be lengthened and you can fish slightly over depth. This allows the line near the hook to lay lower in the water which is far less likely to spook wary fish. It will though, still be just as sensitive, being light, every movement of the telltale is registered at the float.

It may only be a minor amount of change but it's the little things that can make the difference. A light but long antenna will give you some wonderful lift registration but, can take some tuning.

I've caught on half inch lifts but missed bites on three inch lifts - it's never as easy as you'd expect.

As for the slurs against my wonderful bait boat, I shall treat them with the contempt they deserve :Tongue: :Tongue: :Tongue: :Tongue:

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Dave, I assume your bait boat is a Riva Aquarama? Thank you all for you suggestions. Regards Cat

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Cat wrote: ↑Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:10 pm Dave, I assume your bait boat is a Riva Aquarama? Thank you all for you suggestions. Regards Cat
Ooh I wish :Chuckle:

Return to β€œLift Method”