Converting Cardinal 66/77 to 66x/77x

The ABU Reels forum.
Jeff Smith
Dace

Re: Converting Cardinal 66/77 to 66x/77x

Post by Jeff Smith »

John Milford wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:54 am When the spool on a 'fixed spool' reel is allowed to rotate, it will impart exactly the same twist in the line per revolution regardless of which mechanism allows the rotation. (Whether that mechanism is a 'baitrunner' or a loose 'slipping clutch' is completely immaterial).

It is only when 'back-winding' during playing, or anti-reverse off 'handle churning' in the case of a 'run', where the line twist is neutral. (Even then, the line still twists, but the twist 'on' and the twist 'off' cancel each other out).

Rollers reduce only friction, not twist (despite some manufacturers initial physics-defying claims!).

Line twist is an occupational hazard with fixed spool reels and it has ever been thus.

This little passage from L. W. Clark's Angling Coarse Fish (1938) has stuck with me, since reading it at the age of 12:

"I watched a man once float-fishing with a reel of the fixed spool type. He appeared to be getting his tackle well out without difficulty and I remarked on it. 'Yes' said he, 'but they twists yer line cruel'. So I think I will leave the patent reel at that and get on with the straightforward drum type".
😂😂lovely quote John.
I find that I get marginally less twist with the 77 (larger diameter spool) than with a 66 but, I emphasise; it’s not an issue at all.
The most ‘runs’ I’ve had in a barbel session is ‘four’ .(
It’s not an easy venue😉)so it’s barely noticeable .
I tend to use quite a robust line (Asso .35mm 15lb stated b.s) and usually only need to change it every season which I suspect is about 30 sessions.
My question still stands;
Can 66x gears be fitted into a 66??

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Jeff Smith wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:47 pm

😂😂lovely quote John.
I find that I get marginally less twist with the 77 (larger diameter spool) than with a 66 but, I emphasise; it’s not an issue at all.
The most ‘runs’ I’ve had in a barbel session is ‘four’ .
It’s ot an easy venue😉
I whipped the cover of a 66X and a 66 to look... it looks like it could be possible, although the cog /spindle gears are are different pitches. But regret not going to completely dismantle them to find out :Wink:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Jeff Smith wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:48 pm
John Milford wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:54 am When the spool on a 'fixed spool' reel is allowed to rotate, it will impart exactly the same twist in the line per revolution regardless of which mechanism allows the rotation. (Whether that mechanism is a 'baitrunner' or a loose 'slipping clutch' is completely immaterial).

It is only when 'back-winding' during playing, or anti-reverse off 'handle churning' in the case of a 'run', where the line twist is neutral. (Even then, the line still twists, but the twist 'on' and the twist 'off' cancel each other out).

Rollers reduce only friction, not twist (despite some manufacturers initial physics-defying claims!).

Line twist is an occupational hazard with fixed spool reels and it has ever been thus.

This little passage from L. W. Clark's Angling Coarse Fish (1938) has stuck with me, since reading it at the age of 12:

"I watched a man once float-fishing with a reel of the fixed spool type. He appeared to be getting his tackle well out without difficulty and I remarked on it. 'Yes' said he, 'but they twists yer line cruel'. So I think I will leave the patent reel at that and get on with the straightforward drum type".
😂😂lovely quote John.
I tend to use quite a robust line (Asso .35mm 15lb stated b.s) and usually only need to change it every season which I suspect is about 30 sessions.
Sorry for late reply, swapping the original gears over is something I have never done nor needed to but I see no reason why they shouldn't fit and work, the housing and sideplates are identical and both 66x and 77x use the same rotor and trip mechanisms, it will be a trial and error way to find out and if you have both sets of reels then good luck trying it, if not then it can be an expensive trial as the 5:1 gear ratio sets are not an easy find other than from a donor reel, NOS parts gear sets for them wont be cheap if you find them.
The one thing I would check for if you try swapping gear sets is coning of the line onto the spool but thats it, truth be known the only difference of the 66 and 66X is the gear set and drag knob color, everything else is the same, part numbers vary simply because of the paint color :Hat:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Jeff Smith
Dace

Post by Jeff Smith »

BeechmereLake wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:39 am

😂😂lovely quote John.
Sorry for late reply, swapping the original gears over is something I have never done nor needed to but I see no reason why they shouldn't fit and work, the housing and sideplates are identical and both 66x and 77x use the same rotor and trip mechanisms, it will be a trial and error way to find out and if you have both sets of reels then good luck trying it, if not then it can be an expensive trial as the 5:1 gear ratio sets are not an easy find other than from a donor reel, NOS parts gear sets for them wont be cheap if you find them.
The one thing I would check for if you try swapping gear sets is coning of the line onto the spool but thats it, truth be known the only difference of the 66 and 66X is the gear set and drag knob color, everything else is the same, part numbers vary simply because of the paint color :Hat:
Thanks Martin and no probs for the delay in replying- I’m sure you were busy fishing.
I’d hoped that it would just be the gears that would need swapping and quite like the idea of a 5:1 66 however, as you say,it’s going to be challenge to track down parts and X versions of the 66 and 77 seem ridiculously expensive.
I’d not be dismantling a decent reel anyway.
My 66s are in very good condition so perhaps a couple of tatty Xs will show up if I’m patient…..or even a couple of Zebcos which always seem cheaper

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Jeff Smith wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:51 pm
BeechmereLake wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:39 am

😂😂lovely quote John.
Thanks Martin and no probs for the delay in replying- I’m sure you were busy fishing.
I’d hoped that it would just be the gears that would need swapping and quite like the idea of a 5:1 66 however, as you say,it’s going to be challenge to track down parts and X versions of the 66 and 77 seem ridiculously expensive.
I’d not be dismantling a decent reel anyway.
My 66s are in very good condition so perhaps a couple of tatty Xs will show up if I’m patient…..or even a couple of Zebcos which always seem cheaper
Jeff I did some digging and found a main gear in Singapore which was NOS parts, £35 -40 would get it here but no such luck on a worm gear which I would think is the same money, so £80 for a gear set, geez :hairpull: . I have a 66X for sale and at those prices the reel would be about the same money even with an extra spool
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Return to “ABU Reels”