Upper Salden

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
CanalFisher
Stickleback

Upper Salden

Post by CanalFisher »

I've just joined a new (to me) lake tucked away in the rural countryside. Its a small lake which dates back 400 years, so i hoped someone here may know some of the history of the place.
I had a walk around at the weekend and it is absolutely beautiful. The place had me in awe and it felt like a privileged to walk around such an old historic lake of such beauty. Ive hopefully attached some pictures.
The lake is currently called Upper Salden Lake and its located nr Mursley.
Any information would be greatly appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Upper Salden

Post by Olly »

Try Google for club details, cost, number of swims, etc - - inc application form/permit outlets.

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

Hi CanalFisher! I just knew it was Upper Salden Lake! I have just posted on your introduction that I had a feeling I was right! It is a lovely lake. I joined 3 years ago and as yet I haven't rejoined this season, too busy trying to catch some barbel and chub from the Ouse at Newport Pagnell. You will enjoy fishing the lake, but don't expect any monsters. It is just a lovely lake to be beside with some lovely tench to be had on traditional float fishing tactics!!

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

This pool is relatively local to me and I have been a member for for about 13 years. I don’t fish it a lot but several others on here have also fished it, one of them with me.
Like all waters in this area of the country, otters have made a significant impact on any water without an otter fence. The Covid period of 2020 and 2021 gave them the opportunity with very little human presence.
There were a few good carp in the pool between 10lbs and at least 25lb, but it seems only one or two remain. Having said that it is one of few stillwaters in the area that has never been predominately a carp water, it has always been a mixed fishery, even more so now the carp have gone.
The club has more recently been involved with the EA who have stocked 1500 crucian carp last year , seeing this as an ideal pool for their project to restock crucians in suitable pools nationally.
Tench are the main species that anglers want to catch here, and there were plenty in the 3 to 5 lb bracket, probably less now due to predation, but I did catch a 5lb 7 oz tench last summer on float fished lobworm ( I only fished the pool a 3 or 4 times last year).
Apart from the large picturesque lily beds on this 1.3 acre pool, hornwort grows prolifically, so much so that the club very recently had a professional contractor to remove tons of the weed- based on advice from the EA - in order to stop the fish concentrating on only feeding on natural food .
There is still plenty of weed left but hopefully those 4 to 6” crucians stocked last ŷear will start to show, if not later this summer then by next spring.
Other species in the pool are roach, rudd, perch ( to around 3 lb) , and a few pike. There were also some golden orfe and golden tench but they seem to all have disappeared.
The pool is at least 500 years old ( local records prove this ) and maybe 1000 years plus, as it is likely it is a natural pool, sitting at the base of a tiny valley, and I understand it is fed by five natural springs.
It has been the only water for the ‘Winslow and District Fishing Club’ for around 30 years plus, membership is £35 , only £18 for oldies like me.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

CanalFisher
Stickleback

Post by CanalFisher »

Olly wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:58 pm Try Google for club details, cost, number of swims, etc - - inc application form/permit outlets.
Thanks for replying.
I have already joined the club & have been for a visit, i was looking for information on the history of the lake rather than its current status.

CanalFisher
Stickleback

Post by CanalFisher »

Mick wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:06 pm Hi CanalFisher! I just knew it was Upper Salden Lake! I have just posted on your introduction that I had a feeling I was right! It is a lovely lake. I joined 3 years ago and as yet I haven't rejoined this season, too busy trying to catch some barbel and chub from the Ouse at Newport Pagnell. You will enjoy fishing the lake, but don't expect any monsters. It is just a lovely lake to be beside with some lovely tench to be had on traditional float fishing tactics!!
Im looking to catch my first barbel this autumn so i may he reaching out to you for some advice.

Im not looking for monsters at salden, its a beautiful get away with the chance to get some tench & crucians. Pike & perch will get my attention come late autumn & winter.

If you spot a loat looking newbie around the lale please come and say hi

CanalFisher
Stickleback

Post by CanalFisher »

Julian wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:41 pm This pool is relatively local to me and I have been a member for for about 13 years. I don’t fish it a lot but several others on here have also fished it, one of them with me.
Like all waters in this area of the country, otters have made a significant impact on any water without an otter fence. The Covid period of 2020 and 2021 gave them the opportunity with very little human presence.
There were a few good carp in the pool between 10lbs and at least 25lb, but it seems only one or two remain. Having said that it is one of few stillwaters in the area that has never been predominately a carp water, it has always been a mixed fishery, even more so now the carp have gone.
The club has more recently been involved with the EA who have stocked 1500 crucian carp last year , seeing this as an ideal pool for their project to restock crucians in suitable pools nationally.
Tench are the main species that anglers want to catch here, and there were plenty in the 3 to 5 lb bracket, probably less now due to predation, but I did catch a 5lb 7 oz tench last summer on float fished lobworm ( I only fished the pool a 3 or 4 times last year).
Apart from the large picturesque lily beds on this 1.3 acre pool, hornwort grows prolifically, so much so that the club very recently had a professional contractor to remove tons of the weed- based on advice from the EA - in order to stop the fish concentrating on only feeding on natural food .
There is still plenty of weed left but hopefully those 4 to 6” crucians stocked last ŷear will start to show, if not later this summer then by next spring.
Other species in the pool are roach, rudd, perch ( to around 3 lb) , and a few pike. There were also some golden orfe and golden tench but they seem to all have disappeared.
The pool is at least 500 years old ( local records prove this ) and maybe 1000 years plus, as it is likely it is a natural pool, sitting at the base of a tiny valley, and I understand it is fed by five natural springs.
It has been the only water for the ‘Winslow and District Fishing Club’ for around 30 years plus, membership is £35 , only £18 for oldies like me.
Many thanks for the informative reply.
There was a match just finishing as i arrived so i got the chance to say hello to a few members and had a good chat with one who gave me a bit of info on how it's currently fishing.
I'll be there soon targetting the tench & hoping for a crucian or two. Perch to 3lb is very exciting so looking forward to getting out the lob worms later in the year.
Its a shame the otters got to the lake but the club are doing an amazing job in taking care of the place.
I feel very honoured to be able to fish there

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”