Vintage Tackle on the Trent?

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
Polecat
Gudgeon

Vintage Tackle on the Trent?

Post by Polecat »

I've travelled up to fish the Trent a few times in the last two seasons. It's been very enjoyable, sometimes successful and not very traditional.

I use rods between 1.75lb and 2.25lb test curves, 12lb/15lb line and leads between 3oz and 6oz which seem both necessary and what everyone else seems to use.

I imagine when I was intently reading the Angling Times as a child and there were numerous articles and match results from the Trent, that anglers were not using that kind of gear - simply because it did not exist back then?

So I was wondering was it all float fishing or did people use heavier gear and I was not aware of it?

Thanks.

Aitch
Pike

Re: Vintage Tackle on the Trent?

Post by Aitch »

I used my cane Sharpe for a spot of Barbel fishing last year and under the guidance of another forum member... (Barbelseeker) the rod was one of my 9'3" carp rods approx 1.75-2lb test curve and resulted in a 10lb 2oz Barbel

It handled the fish very well and put a healthy bend in it
6 Barbel and a Chub was the tally for just a few hours fishing

(Many Thanks Peter :Hat: )
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

The Trent has changed over the years.
I fished it a lot in the late 70’s and 80’s, when the standard approach was the stick float and up to a gallon of bronze maggots. This was on the middle stretches around Newark, and the tidal river as far down as Dunham Bridge.
The target fish were chub to about 3lb, roach, bream and gudgeon, and an early start often produced a net of 40 to 50lb by 10am.
I’m sure the river was dirtier then. It became much cleaner and clearer and harder during the 90’s, and to some extent became a big fish river - hence the beachcasting approach used by many anglers these days.
Some blamed an explosion of zebra mussels filtering the water, others the lack of warm water which the power stations used to put in. On some cool mornings we couldn’t see to trot a float because of the thick mist rising from the warm river. Others blame predation by cormorants.
Whatever the reason, t’aint what it used to be, if a day’s trotting for a mixed bag is your thing.
Last edited by Banksy on Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Apologies, I quoted my own post instead of editing it.

Polecat
Gudgeon

Post by Polecat »

Thanks for the replies, I can remember reading about the warm water outfalls from the power stations. Allegedly they used to support populations of guppies that people had released in to the river?

Aitch, that's a lovely Barbel.

I do like the wild remote bits of the tidal river, very different to where I usually fish.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Always on cane, often on centrepin. Rod of choice a Sharpes 9' 6" salmon spinner and this reel is a Mill Tackle Barbus. This one was 13.15 but I have had them to over 15lb on the same tackle. 15 lb BS line necessary for abrasion resistance rather than pull strength.

"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Polecat
Gudgeon

Post by Polecat »

Bob Brookes wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:49 am Always on cane, often on centrepin. Rod of choice a Sharpes 9' 6" salmon spinner and this reel is a Mill Tackle Barbus. This one was 13.15 but I have had them to over 15lb on the same tackle. 15 lb BS line necessary for abrasion resistance rather than pull strength.

Very impressive, perhaps I should have a bit more faith in my cane rods!

Return to “River Trent”