The river Usk

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Troydog
Tench

The river Usk

Post by Troydog »

Shaz and I decided to take a couple of days in East Wales. The small town of Usk was our first stop and despite the weather warning the rain was only torrential. Several nice pubs to choose from and we stayed at the Castle Inn before walking downhill to the bridge over the Usk. It had a nice flow with a little bit of water on. No one was fishing and nothing topped whilst we were there. I asked the elderly publican how his salmon fishing was going. “Well” he said, “I still take out a ticket, but I don’t fish anymore. Catch and release is a waste of time because caught fish usually die anyway. Some locals shout abuse when I’m on the river even though I’ve fished here all my life.”
I asked about coarse fish and he said that there used to be a head of roach, chub and perch upstream, but after they released the otters, the fish disappeared. His view is that rivers that are full of fish, like the Wye at Hereford, can cope with a few otters, but not the Usk.
Onwards to Crickhowell next day. There are even more pubs here and we chose the Dragon Inn for overnight accommodation. The walk down to the river was also to look at the sixteenth century Bridge End Inn. We had had a few pints here ten or fifteen year ago, but a succession of shoulder high floods in the lounge bar persuaded the publican to call last orders.
The river was still devoid of anglers so we walked back up the hill for lunch. A plaque on the wall of a cottage told us that that was the home of the Three Salmons Inn in 1740. Interesting really because yesterday in Usk we had lunch at the Three Salmons Inn.
I know that there are fish in the Usk because I attend meetings of the Wye and Usk Foundation. However I was back on the Wye today to net a dozen roach and a two pound perch. Lovely fishing in the torrential rain…..
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: The river Usk

Post by Catfish.017 »

I remember the Usk being full of coarse fish in the Seventies though there was little opportunity to fish for them. One notable exception was an annual match, the Lionel Sweet Trophy, a competition organised with the express purpose of removing coarse fish from the river! It was well attended particularly by the Cardiff match anglers including Gary (Grumble) Evans the well known tackle dealer of that city. The River Authority laid on trailer tanks to facilitate the stocking of several pools with the removed fish, mainly quality Dace and Roach.
I recall fishing that match for the first time in 1971. I caught for about half an hour and weighed 13 lb odd, big Dace and two good Roach. I think Lionel Sweet was a tackle dealer too and a Salmon angler.

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

Clive Branson (World champ 1989) made a video coarse fishing the Usk when it was possible to purchase day tickets. I fished the Usk a few times but it was hard going. Pity really. Nice river

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

A chap I knew back in the 80's had fished a match on the Usk. He would enthusiastically recount the massive hauls of roach and dace his mates shared whereas, he found it harder going until he landed a chub of about 5lbs. The river teamed with fish and he yearned for a return. It's so sad to see a river like the Usk fall foul to predation and doubtless, other factors.

I'm glad to hear you are still waterproof Tim :Thumb:

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Great story Catfish 0.17. 1971 is a long time ago, but what a shame that this pretty river looks so barren today. I think that Clive sticks to the Wye these days Jimmy - at least I see him fishing the Winter League.
That is when he hasn’t fallen in - twice last year…..
I gotta stay waterproof these days Dave…..
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Return to “Other Rivers”