Victorian Tackle Retriever.

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
John Milford
Grayling

Re: Victorian Tackle Retriever.

Post by John Milford »

Another variation on the theme, I have this old weed cutter with twin folding blades.

It has a thread for attaching to a landing net handle, plus a rng for throwing it on a cord.

Made from steel and brass, there are small remnants of green paint on the shaft reminiscent of Efgeeco, but there are no maker's marks on it.

Screenshot_20230909-123132_Photos~3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Mr B wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:49 am
JAA wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:59 am
Mr B wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:50 pm
JAA wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:55 pm I had one of those but the plastic bit broke, so I 'fixed it'.
I admit I prefer that Victorian one!
I have one similar to your one... no plastic but dreadfully soft blade... bent the first time I used it! I wish my old man was around... he worked with iron all his life, he would have made me one, would have been a peace of cake for him.
Like you said... the Victorian one looks great!
I know there would be some of out TFF craftsman who could knock a tackle retriever up for sure.

Mr B
The blade is this one is really very good steel - I also have an old fashioned screw-in gaff head for hooking branches down :)
Yes, when I took a second look at your one I could see it was home spun.. the blade did look good and I could see the welding.
I was thinking of doing something similar.
Thanks for posting mate.
No welding there - it's the shank of a steel bolt, I drilled two holes through it to match the ones in the blade, used a 3/8 bsf tap on both ends, cut a slot in one end of the rod, then rivetted the blade in place using pieces of 3" nail. I ran the tap over the thread on the 'blunt end to clean it up, then Loctite'd both nuts in place... :Thumb:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Martin James wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:48 am Mark, I have a similar shaped blade, probably made in Sheffield before the WW2, I have had it since I was 5 years old, it’s still going strong, I first used it for bringing down a high blackberry branch that had more berries than the lower branches. It’s also proved excellent for trimming a few branches or reeds. I will have it with me when we fish in October.

Thanks for posting that Martin, very interesting and a far cry from todays 5 year olds!!! Unfortunately most at that age are already dab hands pressing buttons. But hopefully some have Old TFFr's for grandparents so we can reach them "The Ways"
Your one looks a good solid one and set nicely at an angle..
lots of uses from blackberry picking, weed cutting, retrieving the miss cast windblown, or eagerly struck dip of the float!!!!
A must have for any traditional angler wort his sorts.
Yes... looking forward to our day in the bank, hopefully we wont need to use it.... who knows, last time I nearly took your eye out with an over zealous strike... ok a bit of an Exaggeration...but a good tangle!!! but what a never to be forgotten day.
Mark aka Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

John Milford wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:37 pm Another variation on the theme, I have this old weed cutter with twin folding blades.

It has a thread for attaching to a landing net handle, plus a rng for throwing it on a cord.

Made from steel and brass, there are small remnants of green paint on the shaft reminiscent of Efgeeco, but there are no maker's marks on it.

Screenshot_20230909-123132_Photos~3.jpg
Thats a interesting one from Efgeeco by the sounds of it... that 3/8th thread really dose come into its own!
The other home made one to looks very useful... trying to get to get size in my mind of it.,,, fitting it in a rod ring as well??
Looks a well thought out designed.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

If all else fails.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

I can't find mine, but I made one like below when I was learning to fly fish on the upper Hodder many moons ago.
I caught a LOT of trees!

At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

JAA wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:55 pm I had one of those but the plastic bit broke, so I 'fixed it'.
I admit I prefer that Victorian one!
Ahh, zoomed in closer..... yes, nice job I can see the rivets.
You put some work into that.
Great stuff👍
Old Rods drawings look interesting too!
Light weight and what a simple to use.

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

A modern twist on the old bladed 'crooks' is this one in stainless steel from Leeda. You can find them for just over a tenner.

I've had mine a year or so and it has dealt with reed fronds without difficulty and sawn through low growing 'suckers' sprouting from semi-submerged trees, albeit I had to get up close whist dunking the family jewels. Brrrrrrrr!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I constructed this one earlier this year, made for a certain pool that really needs its attention in some areas .

I honestly never considered it to be a tackle retriever , it was made soley for making an access to overly weedy swims.

It extends to 10 feet but I have additional sections so could reach much further if needed, or just screw it into a net pole.

The blade is extremely hard, bring constructed from a hardened steel commercial circular saw blade shaped with a lazer cutter . A bit of 3/8 bsf studding welded on , a brass net pole attachment , fitted and a lot of sharpening and the jobs was good one.

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”