Sea Jecta Mk111 "Basket case?"

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Sea Jecta Mk111 "Basket case?"

Post by Mr B »

Good evening Gents,
I took delivery of yet another reel today from a well know site.
Paid £8.00 for it so I knew it would probably need a bit of TLC despite the description... fair condition, spins well.
Cutting it short its unusable!
There are parts missing and I think the Centre Pin thread at the back is slightly stripped with the wrong nut on it.. ( I knew the wrong nut was on it but thought I could change it.
I was wondering if any of you members might have the same reel and could post a photo of its working's or might have some spare parts for it?
I like the feel of the reel, its in stainless steel and has a nice look about it. ( to me)
The workings are totally different from my Sea Jecta deluxe.
If it turns out to be a "Basket Case" I will keep my eye out for another one and keep this for parts...
Be interested in your thought....
Thank you
Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Jeff Smith
Dace

Re: Sea Jecta Mk111 "Basket case?"

Post by Jeff Smith »

Here you go Mr. B. Note- the spool retaining screw has a reverse thread. Lovely sturdy reel this - ideal for a spot of piking I’d say.
With the ‘drag’ backed off, and a bit of light oil on the spindle( it’s not a true centrepin) I can get this thing spinning enough to perform a rudimentary‘Wallis’ cast with pike end tackle.
If you require more close up pics, let me know.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Mr B wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:06 pm Good evening Gents,
I took delivery of yet another reel today from a well know site.
Paid £8.00 for it so I knew it would probably need a bit of TLC despite the description... fair condition, spins well.
Cutting it short its unusable!
There are parts missing and I think the Centre Pin thread at the back is slightly stripped with the wrong nut on it.. ( I knew the wrong nut was on it but thought I could change it.
I was wondering if any of you members might have the same reel and could post a photo of its working's or might have some spare parts for it?
I like the feel of the reel, its in stainless steel and has a nice look about it. ( to me)
The workings are totally different from my Sea Jecta deluxe.
If it turns out to be a "Basket Case" I will keep my eye out for another one and keep this for parts...
Be interested in your thought....
Thank you
Mr B
Ahh, thanks so much for that!
Your reel looks In very nice condition. I really like the look of them. ( the retrieve will be slow though unless there's plenty of line on it or a new fangled arbor)
I just have a few things missing but it could take a long time to get them!!!
Its all fallen into place looking at your photos.
They are a very well made reel...
Grice & Youngs most expensive centerpin from what I can see in there old Guide..
I cracked under pressure and have just bagged one. I will now have spare part's for it.
The price of a breakfast for two in my local posh café!
Wallis cast!!! Could but a bit ambitious with that reel unless your an expert.. I am still trying to get to grips with it.,,(Walis cast) saying that I managed 50 yard casts with my old Pen Seaboy when I was 13.. learning the hard way, unraveling the birds nests!!!

Thanks again.
Mr B
Ps.... yes, a nice English Pike reel and a nice reel for inshore boat fishing for sea bream.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Jeff Smith wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:47 pm

Here you go Mr. B. Note- the spool retaining screw has a reverse thread. Lovely sturdy reel this - ideal for a spot of piking I’d say.
With the ‘drag’ backed off, and a bit of light oil on the spindle( it’s not a true centrepin) I can get this thing spinning enough to perform a rudimentary‘Wallis’ cast with pike end tackle.
If you require more close up pics, let me know.
Hi Jeff,
Just a quick one... I am trying to salvage the spool and backplate... the threads have gone on the pin and brass retaining screw and I think on the drag nut.
I have a question.... how do you get the pin/ spindle, out from the spool.. I didn't want to be to heavy handed and just whack it out.
You were left with the pin on the backplate, my one is stuck in the spool.
When you can, no rush.

Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Smith
Dace

Post by Jeff Smith »

The spool spins freely on the shaft and simply slides off once you’ve undone the retaining screw, and spun off the drag.
Is yours seized perhaps?Might need a little gentle persuasion with a small hammer and block of hardwood or, if the shaft is scrap , a pair of mole grips and some twisting might free it.
If you can get it out, you could probably get a new one made quite simply if you know someone who’s a dab hand with a metal working lathe.
The reel would definitely benefit from some sort of arbor.I did load mine with backing but it made the spool quite heavy . Again , a hobby metal worker could easily make up a set of cross bars and fit them to your spare spool to reduce its line capacity.
I agree, it would make a super black bream reel, a specie I target a lot in the spring from my own boat.
I seem to remember a similar looking reel pictured in Clive Gammon’s ‘Sea Fishing’ circa late 60s - I must dig it out.
Anyway, keep us all posted with your progress and hopefully, your second reel will be usable.

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”