Dobbs Weir

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
MrT

Re: Dobbs Weir

Post by MrT »

I grew up within a mile of this place. SPent many a happy day (and night) catching roach chub and barbel from here and many more nights getting drunk in the Fish and Eels pub thats adjacent to it!
sadly its recently been purchased by a local (predominantly carp) fishery. Although it is still day ticket I believe.
as a local resident in hertford Im sure im not the only local who thinks fishing in the River Lea has sadly gone downhill.

I tend to stick to my pretty unknown local pool in turnford in the lea valley now. Thinking about it. I'll go there tomorrow :)

jim
hertford

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

MrT wrote:I grew up within a mile of this place. SPent many a happy day (and night) catching roach chub and barbel from here and many more nights getting drunk in the Fish and Eels pub thats adjacent to it!
sadly its recently been purchased by a local (predominantly carp) fishery. Although it is still day ticket I believe.
as a local resident in hertford Im sure im not the only local who thinks fishing in the River Lea has sadly gone downhill.

I tend to stick to my pretty unknown local pool in turnford in the lea valley now. Thinking about it. I'll go there tomorrow :)

jim
hertford

Who's bought it Jim? it would be good to see how they run it, after all it it is a river.

MrT

Post by MrT »

Tadpole wrote:
MrT wrote:I grew up within a mile of this place. SPent many a happy day (and night) catching roach chub and barbel from here and many more nights getting drunk in the Fish and Eels pub thats adjacent to it!

jim
hertford
Who's bought it Jim? it would be good to see how they run it, after all it it is a river.

tadpole,

Carthegena. They have a fishery - lake & river in Nazeing. Some nice fish but too commercial for my liking.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Tadpole wrote:

jim
hertford

http://carthagenafishery.co.uk/fishery/ ... pools.html

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

In real terms Dobbs weir hasnt changed much under new ownership. Only the balif comes from carthagena fishery rather than Lea valley balif/ranger.

I walked the path Dobbs weir to Carthagena lock and its just beautiful....and hardly fished. Iam told that inthe 60/70s it anglers swim to swim. But fishing has by the popular demand of those enjoy participating in the sport and those who make a living out of it, moved on!

There are hundreds of serious anglers out there .....on the commercials etc. The lea has some hots spots for solitary big chub and barble. But the days of mass pleasure fishing on have gone.Not so mass but some still fish this way etc.But carping/big fish etc has where the Mass has gone.

Each to their own. Makes the river fishing and dog walking more peaceful. And there are whoppers in there. Ask Mr Vole.......BREAM

MrT

Post by MrT »

John L wrote:In real terms Dobbs weir hasnt changed much under new ownership. Only the balif comes from carthagena fishery rather than Lea valley balif/ranger.

I walked the path Dobbs weir to Carthagena lock and its just beautiful....and hardly fished. Iam told that inthe 60/70s it anglers swim to swim. But fishing has by the popular demand of those enjoy participating in the sport and those who make a living out of it, moved on!

There are hundreds of serious anglers out there .....on the commercials etc. The lea has some hots spots for solitary big chub and barble. But the days of mass pleasure fishing on have gone.Not so mass but some still fish this way etc.But carping/big fish etc has where the Mass has gone.

Each to their own. Makes the river fishing and dog walking more peaceful. And there are whoppers in there. Ask Mr Vole.......BREAM

Perhaps I'll take another look at the weir.
Yes- we used to catch the big bream in the stanstead abbots stretch.
I have many fond memories fishing The lea. No session there in the last 15 years has been as good as when I was younger but maybe that's my rose tinted specs! :)

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

John L wrote:In real terms Dobbs weir hasnt changed much under new ownership. Only the balif comes from carthagena fishery rather than Lea valley balif/ranger.

I fished there last month and it all seemed the same, I blanked so no change at the weir! Not an easy place, fast flows and loads of under water obstacles.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

I like the stretch down stream of the lock at Dobbs down towards Carthagena,not seen keen on the wier pool area. The island is delightful with nice fishing behind it.....But I aint ever caughta fish offthe island and not much anywhere else.

The smaller chub/Quality Roach, bream etc that we hear tales from yesteryear of....I fear are long gone :( I will go down there if I get time. The part I like is as nice a place youll get around these parts so to speak, to trot a float. If it goes under its a bonus :hat:

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Had a walk around dobb,s weir today and just above the weir i spotted a shoal of dace on the far side, a walk to the near side and there,s a very big shoal of roach and absolutely thousand,s of very small roach. Look,s like the Lea at dobb,s could be getting better in the next few season,s. For roach fishing at least.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Further down, I had a look at Swan and Pike lane last week, lots of small roach visible. None that I could see at Lea Road, Waltham Abbey, though.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “River Lea”