Rod recycling.

The history & development of fishing tackle part of the forum.
Liphook
Barbel

Re: Rod recycling.

Post by Liphook »

The answer is to keep on using them then there is simply no need to recycle anything. Keep them going and eventually technology, if needed, will catch up? Are carbon rids a form of carbon offset banking? It's the resins that are the issue I suspect

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Liphook, nano-carbon! As I recall that was a subject of much debate a few years ago. Mainly in connection with crashed aircraft. I can’t remember the details though. Probably not a problem black stuff rod users need to worry much about.
I have a number of orphaned glass fibre rod parts holding up beans in the garden.
In respect of old cane and greenheart rods, I have an assortment of odds and ends of those in the workshop, awaiting a future project to either restore, where practicable, or to be turned into other useful items, such as net handles, apple bag rods ( to collect apples from high branches) or possibly as snooker cues! :Chuckle:
Some are given away. If all else fails, they make good fire fodder.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

There's so much more one can do to offset one's carbon footprint and use of recyclable plastic than worry about non-recyclable carbon/fibreglass fishing rods, that are actually recyclable unless badly damaged.

But if I was to worry about such things then I'd buy my black rods second hand, which is a form of recycling in itself!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

My Osprey dinghy - 25 years old all wood and beating the plastic and carbon modern stuff

And in the same way, my Mitchell's will be winding till I cant make it down the bank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Just read on the BBC news website that McClaren F1 are trying recycled carbon fibre on their F1cars for the next race and depending on the results , into the future, and they hope to save 90% of the energy used etc.

So there's your answer, send your broken carbon rods to McClaren!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Santiago wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:53 pm Just read on the BBC news website that McClaren F1 are trying recycled carbon fibre on their F1cars for the next race and depending on the results , into the future, and they hope to save 90% of the energy used etc.

So there's your answer, send your broken carbon rods to McClaren!
Having supplied some parts to a F1 team , let me say they live in a crazy world of very high prices.

Any mention of recycling is going to be very much used as marketing and promoting the brand rather than any real effort to reuse things

Return to “The History & Development of Fishing Tackle”