Traditional lures

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
SooperClooper
Silver Bream

Re: Traditional lures

Post by SooperClooper »

I still have one or two early lures including a Rublex Floppy, a rubber bodied plug with a lip that had two positions, caught quite a few pike and the odd perch on it before being retired.

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

SooperClooper wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:33 pm I still have one or two early lures including a Rublex Floppy, a rubber bodied plug with a lip that had two positions, caught quite a few pike and the odd perch on it before being retired.

Some of my poissons nageurs, including two sizes of the Floppy (centre). :Hat:

A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Grumpy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:53 pm I remember making spoons from spoons when I was a lad.My Dad helped me drill the holes for the treble and split ring.I even caught small Pike on them.

Lures certanly don't come much more traditional than an old table spoon! :Thumb:

The decoration on this one lifts it nicely above the ordinary.

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

These old lures are popularly known as the 'roach plug'. Intriguingly, I have also seen them referred to as the 'Aerialist minnow'.

Their distinctive colour pallette, including the orange eyes, is the same as some more conventional-looking plugs that I know were distributed by Allcocks. However, l've yet to come across an Angling Guide or catalogue page listing them.

Has anyone else seen anything in print I wonder?

They are most often found, as above, with two trebles and a line tie. However, I also have one, with no screw eyes and a single treble hook flight running through the central alloy tube.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”