any thoughts on this Avon?

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Gilbert
Rudd

any thoughts on this Avon?

Post by Gilbert »

bought on the Bay . i just took a punt on this 'cos it looked like quality. 11'6" 3 section .ETAS inscribed . Edmonton % Tottenham Club ? made by a local dealer ? Dons? but the writing looks wrong. Ted Oliver? i dunno i haven't actually got my mitts on it yet , delivery in a day or so . i think the black wraps look dreadful so it will get a Gilbert rebuild possibly without the inters unless they have left shadows . any ideas as to style ? i don't want it to be another B James clone

ImageImageImage

Old Man River
Eel

Re: any thoughts on this Avon?

Post by Old Man River »

Hi Gilbert.

I am probably wrong, but the rod looks almost identical to my Hardy Mitre Wondrex, the reel fittings and winding check are the same anodised green, my Wondrex also has a geeen anodised alloy butt cap, the rounded cork on your butt sect looks as if it may be a later conversion.
The length is the salme , also it is a nice slim handle as has my Wondrex .

If it is a Wondrex , and the more I look at it the more I think it is, well they are nice rods with good cane so even if it has been rebuilt it will hopefully still perform well , the Wondrex has fewer intermediate whippings .

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

thanks for that OMR.
the seller says the reel fittings have been changed . i thought they looked Hardy but discounted that idea as i thought the rod most likely was local built. i agree the rounded cork is wrong .
i would be interested in some pics of your Wondrex as that may be the WTG for a rebuild although of course i could never claim to be sure of it's antecedents.
the cane was what caught my eye and i went back to the ad 4 or 5 times before i decided to buy it . i think it will be a goodun.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Bit difficult atm Gilbert, I live in Yorkshire but am in Scotland for another week, there are plenty of images on the β€œ web β€œ though πŸ‘.

David .

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Old Man River wrote: ↑Sun May 23, 2021 2:04 pm Bit difficult atm Gilbert, I live in Yorkshire but am in Scotland for another week, there are plenty of images on the β€œ web β€œ though πŸ‘.

David .
no worries . . ring spacings look as if they may match ..........this looks nice

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Just the same as mine πŸ‘, although mine has no probs with the varnish πŸ˜‹.

David.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Old Man River wrote: ↑Sun May 23, 2021 5:02 pm Just the same as mine πŸ‘, although mine has no probs with the varnish πŸ˜‹.

David.
Yummy!

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

further to.............

i now have the rod - and it is a stunner. quite heavy, about 14ozs at a guess with a 19" handle . the cane is a cross between mahogany and walnut in colour and i reckon it would stop a bus . the cane has been hand planed , definitely not machined and it is totally without a blemish.it is quite tippy but the power comes in high up in the middle section .who made it i have not a clue , but what a rod!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I had been watching that rod - and decided it was either home-made or been refurbished.

Return to β€œOther Traditional Cane Rods”