Allcocks Holdwell

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Allcocks Holdwell

Post by Olly »

So the older models had split cane. And the newer, with the advent of fibreglass, have fibreglass tips.

In the '66 catalogue: - - Viking = fibreglass top. Holdwell = hollow fibre glass top.

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Me too. Just over 12' [by an inch or so].

Split cane top section.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I have an early Holdwell with whole cane butt and middle, with built cane tip. It’s absolutely brilliant. I always thought it would be no good for anything over a couple of pounds and that the “Holdwell” name was a bit tongue in cheek, but I’ve since caught fish to 10lb and it took on a wonderful curve. The guys at Allcock knew what they were doing. Oh, and it’s low bells throughout and sheet cork handle.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Marc wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:51 pm I always thought... that the “Holdwell” name was a bit tongue in cheek, but I’ve since caught fish to 10lb and it took on a wonderful curve.
The “Holdwell”, “Eclipse”, “Record Breaker”, and “Lucky Strike” rods were all named after gut casts and hooks-to-gut that Allcocks sold from the 1930s, though the rods were all produced in the post-war era. Allcocks trademarked "Holdwell" (regd. trade mark 425069).
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The 'Record Breaker' did not appear in the '66 catalogue - - but did however appear in the '67 catalogue - - ??

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Hi, yes I would agree with anyone else the Holdwell was made with a split cane tip, just like the one I own.

Trevor

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Duckett wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:36 pm I’ve read they came earlier with greenheart tips.
Rod Fisher wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:53 pmI believe the Holdwell always came with a split cane tip section, no?
Duckett wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:00 pmNo, it definitely came as an original with a glass tip.
I misspoke. For "always", read "from inception". There was not a time, prior to it having a split cane top section, when it came with a greenheart top section, was what I was trying to say.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Interestingly I have come across Holdwell’s that are far beefier than the one I own. As to why? I have no idea.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

Pallenpool wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:16 pm Interestingly I have come across Holdwell’s that are far beefier than the one I own. As to why? I have no idea.
I used a beefy Holdwell when I went to the River Wye years ago, it came from my friend Rob who assured me it would stand up to a Barbel , I caught Barbel up and just over 7lbs and many Chub to 5lbs plus and it really performed well as Rob said it would

5lbs plus Wye Chub

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”