Hardy date and model

The Hardy Rods forum.
OldAngler
Perch

Hardy date and model

Post by OldAngler »

I have just acquired a Hardy fly rod for renovation. Originally 9½ feet, three piece with twist locking ferrules.

At the top of the butt cap is stamped
A
and on the bottom of the butt cap is inscibed 'Hardy's Patent ??95517' together with a star shape within a larger star.
Photos attached.

I understand that 'A' denotes a manufacturing date of 1900 to 1916. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Is '1859' a model number or something else?
What type of rod rings / guides would have been on the original?
What was the original thread colour? Mine seems to have some burgundy and some red, both discoloured.
Any further information will be most welcome.

Many thanks, Old Angler
ImageImage

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Hardy date and model

Post by Olly »

""A 1859"" - seems to denote a date of 1904. The first year a letter was used to identify the date rods were built.

Below is the 1899 catalogue:-

https:// - splitcaneinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/ - Hardy1899-Exc.pdf

Just delete the gaps!
Last edited by Olly on Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

OldAngler wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:32 pm on the bottom of the butt cap is inscibed 'Hardy's Patent ??95517'
It says patent nᵒ5517. Hardy's patent number 5517 of 1889 relates to the means for attaching a spear head to a rod; the spear is reversible.

"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

OldAngler
Perch

Post by OldAngler »

Just had another look at the rod in daylight.

Above the handle in ink is written:- Palakona Rega No.2(then two figures I cannot read)56 or 36

Thanks for your help so far.

Old Angler

OldAngler
Perch

Post by OldAngler »

Rod Fisher,

Thank you.
The spear is still there and in very good condition!
Old Angler

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

OldAngler wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:16 am Just had another look at the rod in daylight.

Above the handle in ink is written:- Palakona Rega No.2(then two figures I cannot read)56 or 36

Thanks for your help so far.

Old Angler
Palakona reg'd no.246936. The registered trademark number for "Palakona", the name Hardy's gave to Tonkin cane, which they first introduced in 1902.
Unfortunately none of these details are specific to a particular model.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

OldAngler
Perch

Post by OldAngler »

I think I have now identified the model of this rod thanks to help from Olly and Rod Fisher. Many thanks gentlemen.

I would like to restore this rod as close as I can to the original which had 'Bridge' oval rod rings / guides. Photos enclosed.
Does anyone have any Bridge rings they can sell to me? I need six or seven with I/D of about 4mms by 3mms. (Oval in shape).

Thank you, Old Angler

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”