Keston

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Velossembly
Stickleback

Re: Keston

Post by Velossembly »

Those concrete posts and the railings indicate that your man, Pete, was fishing from the road end of the Middle Pond. I thought “The Authorities” had prohibited fishing from there on account of the risk of hooking passers by (and cars!) on the backcast, even though anglers must have been casting from there for a hundred years.

It’s many years since I heard the true Kentish accent. Lunnun speak seems to have reached all of the Home Counties now. I used to paddle about in the Ravensbourne where it passed through Lewisham. Best not to think about what water quality we were standing in. I believe it’s all in a culvert now.

BB.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Re: Keston

Post by Mr B »

Velossembly wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:44 am Those concrete posts and the railings indicate that your man, Pete, was fishing from the road end of the Middle Pond. I thought “The Authorities” had prohibited fishing from there on account of the risk of hooking passers by (and cars!) on the backcast, even though anglers must have been casting from there for a hundred years.

It’s many years since I heard the true Kentish accent. Lunnun speak seems to have reached all of the Home Counties now. I used to paddle about in the Ravensbourne where it passed through Lewisham. Best not to think about what water quality we were standing in. I believe it’s all in a culvert now.

BB.
The anglers get a wide birth on that bit of the road as far as I could see,..
The river Ravensbourn in the park has some nice Chub in it so i am told, (my mate who works for The Environment Agency) and is probably cleaner now than when we were kids. (55 years ago)
I'm not sure about the true Kentish accent in Keston, more like a Slone Ranger!
The pond looked in good nick as was clear as Crystal...
My dad used to camp at Keston for a week with his mates in the late 1940's drinking water from Caesar's well and fishing the ponds, eating a few Pike and plenty of Gudgeon!
The ponds still have some nice Gudgeon at home.
Interesting stuff

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”