BB replica reel

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
SharkBoy
Perch

BB replica reel

Post by SharkBoy »

Hi guys I have just become the owner of a Barry Grantham BB centrepin reel .. some advice please - ideas on how to clean the aluminium reel body to restore the original lustre or should the reel have a matt finish ? .. the handles are a faded silver colour can they be purchased so I can replace and lastly is it possible to purchase a new brake block ? All the best Steve

Hovis
Tench

Re: BB replica reel

Post by Hovis »

Congratulations. The one recently in "that" auction site I'll assume. Barry is still about and should be able to confirm the original specs ofif required. I'd strongly recommended you do try and find out it's construction materials before proceeding.
Assuming it's made from aluminium you can simply polish with a cleaner such as autosol and elbow grease. That being said they might had had a matt finish when originally made, be painted, or possibly anodised. Find this out before proceeding. You could clean off future value if not!
There is a fine range of modern pen blanks that makes excellent handles should you wish to change them. Anyone with small lathe could turn these up. Construction seems to be simple screws.
Re: brake shoe; the pictures show a fair but of "meat" left on so it might be fine as is? Again it's simply screwed in and can be easily changed. WM+ is better advised than me on appropriate material choice.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”