Freedex

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Jeff Smith
Dace

Freedex

Post by Jeff Smith »

I’d like to find out a bit more about how this reel operates and am wondering if anyone on here has one?
I’m reluctant to buy one from ‘that’auction site so will put a wanted ad on here as well.
It’s Advertised by J W Young as a salmon and pike free spool spinning reel and , from pictures, it looks like it could be converted to right, or left hand wind.

Wakou
Rudd

Re: Freedex

Post by Wakou »

Hi Jeff! I have just bought one (the same one?) I was just about to post a question asking for some advice! I bought mine from a nice chap in Brentwood, Essex, but I bought it via "Gumtree". I know very little about them, but I would suggest that it is NOT possible to convert... from LHW/RHW.. I confess that I do not know even how it was originally supposed to be used! (My question was to be about this.) Mine is "nearly new" and has possibly never seen a line or a fish, although it has "seen" a rod, by slight marks on the foot.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

From the website of Young and Sons // The Freedex for spinning:-
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Broadly the FREEDEX operates as other reels built on the ‘Nottingham’ principle.
To control when casting use the index finger on the line drum face, or the regulator, or both. The handles remain stationary when the cast is made - disengagement and engagement being entirely automatic. This innovation eliminates revolving handles when the cast is made, adding to the length of the cast and reducing effort and tendency to over-run.
DO NOT TRY TO ENGAGE THE HANDLE UNIT FOR CHECKING A RUNNING FISH: SERIOUS DAMAGE COULD RESULT.
A sensitive regulator is fitted, by which suitable tension can be applied to the line drum. Patent lever-operated check, fitted in a convenient working position. Patent 'Dimple' handles, indented to give a perfect grip and control when playing a fish.
The release lever at the front enables the winding unit to be removed complete - no small parts to lose; the line drum can then be removed from the frame for cleaning and oiling. Both line drum and winding unit can be replaced equally simply.
All details have been carefully studied by Salmon Angling experts who consider the FREEDEX dimensionally perfect and a first class production.
1959 Retail Prices:
3¾" (Medium Width) £5 5s.
4" (Medium Width) £5 15s. 6d.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Website also gives details of maintenance and oiling.

Thanks to Young and Sons.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

A very interesting reel, it would be nice to have a closer look at the mechanism if possible please.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Look at the website ---- a diagram on it.

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Thanks to all.... My one does not seem to "engage" at all.. ie turning the handles does not turn the spool in either direction. I guess (hope) that the old grease/oil is sticky, and is not allowing the little pawls to flick out. A fettlin' I will go!

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Crucian wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:36 pm A very interesting reel, it would be nice to have a closer look at the mechanism if possible please.
"A shaped cam behind the handle engages two pivoted levers mounted on the drum. In the other direction, the cam pushes the levers out, allowing the "de-coupling" action."
Last edited by Rod Fisher on Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Olly wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:18 pm Look at the website ---- a diagram on it.
Which website? I have the old-school book of wurdz!

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Rod Fisher wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:02 am
Crucian wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:36 pm A very interesting reel, it would be nice to have a closer look at the mechanism if possible please.
"A shaped cam behind the handle engages two pivoted levers mounted on the drum. In the other direction, the cam pushes the levers out, allowing the "de-coupling" action."
Thanks Rod, that’s exactly what I wanted to see👍

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”