Farlows fly rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
OldAngler
Perch

Farlows fly rod

Post by OldAngler »

I have acquired a Farlows fly rod, clearly very old,with the name SEXTILE, or SEXLET or SEXLEE on it. The butt cap clearly shows the Farlows name and the number 5893. See photos.

It has Hardy style 'lockfast' ferrules. My understanding is that Farlows was, and is, a retailer and not a manufacturer of tackle. Did Hardy make rods for Farlows?

Any information on this rod will be welcome. Can anyone shed any light for me?

Thank you in advance.
Old Angler
ImageImage

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Re: Farlows fly rod

Post by Rod Fisher »

OldAngler wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:43 pm I have acquired a Farlows fly rod, clearly very old,with the name SEXTILE, or SEXLET or SEXLEE on it. The butt cap clearly shows the Farlows name and the number 5893. See photos.

Thank you in advance.
Old Angler
It says SEXTILE (1/6th of a circle). Circa 1920s.

"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

OldAngler wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:43 pm I have acquired a Farlows fly rod, clearly very old,with the name SEXTILE, or SEXLET or SEXLEE on it. The butt cap clearly shows the Farlows name and the number 5893. See photos.

It has Hardy style 'lockfast' ferrules. My understanding is that Farlows was, and is, a retailer and not a manufacturer of tackle. Did Hardy make rods for Farlows?

Thank you in advance.
Old Angler
ImageImage
If you have the original rod bag the label can give you clues to its date
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

OldAngler
Perch

Post by OldAngler »

Rod Fisher,
Thank you so much. That is very helpful.
Old Angler

OldAngler
Perch

Post by OldAngler »

Hello Harry H,
Sorry, I don't have the original bag, or any bag.

Regards,
Old Angler

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

It looks like the Sextile was quite a long lived rod as it appears in my 1911 & 93rd edition which is circ 1938.
The Lockfast ferrule was invented by J.J.S.Walker, he registered the patent but didn't pay the sealing fee so I guess it was left open so I would assume anyone could use them until Hardy registered a claim them at a later date.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Harry H wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:48 pm It looks like the Sextile was quite a long lived rod as it appears in my 1911 & 93rd edition which is circ 1938.
I have found an advert for it from 1910, and suspect that may be roughly when it was introduced.
In 1925 "West Country" (Major Kenneth Dawson) described it as his favourite low water sea trout and salmon rod.

"My favourite is a “Sextile,’’ made by Farlow’s, and for sea-trout fishing and for salmon in low water, it is, to my mind, ideal."
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Harry H wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:48 pm It looks like the Sextile was quite a long lived rod as it appears in my 1911 & 93rd edition which is circ 1938.
The Lockfast ferrule was invented by J.J.S.Walker, he registered the patent but didn't pay the sealing fee so I guess it was left open so I would assume anyone could use them until Hardy registered a claim them at a later date.
Walker's unsealed 1910 patent applies to lockfast-type ferrules with a freely rotating sleeve (like Wal's rod here).

Hardy's patent 6102 of 1897 looks to be the nearest one (see fig. 4, on page 52 of "To Catch a Fisherman") but on closer inspection that too appears to have a freely rotating sleeve.

Hardy appears to have been using spiral lockfast ferrules from around 1881; here's an advert mentioning them from that year.Image

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”