ID and advice needed...

An area to discuss your cane fishing poles.
Aitch
Pike

Re: ID and advice needed...

Post by Aitch »

Some of the sections are different colours and the butt section seems like a different material too
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

A lucky carboot find for pennies. Certainly very interesting and I believe that has a whale bone tip section.
I look forward to seeing it made into a usable pole H :Hat:

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I don't think its whalebone Terry... think it may be Lancewood... its very heavily whipped... but it also seems to have a grain on the visible parts of the tip

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A lot of pole butt sections were made from bored out hardwood. I have one with a hollow mahogany butt section which has the remains of a label which looks like Fields.

Wal.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

:Thumb:
Aitch wrote: โ†‘Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:20 pm I don't think its whalebone Terry... think it may be Lancewood... its very heavily whipped... but it also seems to have a grain on the visible parts of the tip

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

The Pole has been scheduled for a sympathetic restoration, the errant rod fittings and rings will be removed, the brass weights taken out, the tip section needs a new ferrule as it just drops out of the female, and it has a loose ferrule on the no 3 section
It will be returned to full pole duties, the rings on the tip section will be left on, as they will facilitate the use of an elastic and a connector... fellow TFF'er Rod Storey has been asked, coerced, cajoled, begged to do the work...๐Ÿ˜‰ and his work is very well regarded (I have several of his rebuilt rods)

I have decided against a full refurbishment as the pole seems to be carrying a lot of age and the colours are rich and dark and I'd like to retain as much of that as possible...

It won't be done till later in the year, but I will post pictures as soon as it's complete

( need to get to the gym in the meantime as its a heavy beast)

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Aitch what is the length of the pole.......I suspect it will be less than 18ft..

Between 14-16ft it could be either a Lea Pole or a Pole Rod. There is a possibility it was not even made by any of the London Pole makers and could have been a game fishing pole. One of these is in my possession with a Lancewood tip and as you have noted with yours, incredibly heavy. But this style of fishing could indicate a greater age than the London Poles.

By the way the pole rod I have has collapsible rings, for transport. The manufacturers were based in Liverpool and dated mid 19th century and tad earlier than the finest London Poles.

The other possibility is that your pole was home made by an enthusiast from whatever woods were available this making it not a bitsa but a genuine piece just with no provenance.

By the way keep the rings you have removed as they may come in handy for later identification.....you never know.

Hopefully a little help to you. Sorry I couldn't be more definitive here.

As ever,........

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Many thanks Moley... the different colours of the sections and the fixtures and fittings that appear to be rather crudely applied lend itself to being a home made bitsa, but it has been beautifully whipped which seems at odds with the "bitsa" idea... I think the pole (although i haven't measured it yet) is approx 18- 20' long, it is a biggun... I found my tape measure yesterday so I'll have a measure up and report back...๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Ž

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Well... a quick measure of the sections brings the total length to 20.39 feet so roughly 20'4" take off a few inches each section for the overlap and its about 19' assembled, or thereabouts

Return to โ€œCane Fishing Polesโ€