Centaure 600

The Other Reels forum.
Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Centaure 600

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

ImageImageImageImageImage
A French Centaure 600 circa 1963.I already had one of these 600's but when this treasure showed up I was powerless to resist.With original box and users manual.How a cardboard box remains intact for 61 yrs is a small miracle.A couple of the pics aren't up to much which proves that my 32 yrs at Kodak Ltd were a complete waste of everybody's time.Last week I placed a very healthy bid on a Mepps Baby Vamp empty box but threw in the towel with 5 minutes left when someone (another halfwit like me) bid £125.I was devastated not getting it.My wife was a picture of happiness.TTFN😂 Shy Tangler.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Centaure 600

Post by Harry H »

That's a very elegant looking bail arm, very nice indeed :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Wow! What a funky (and yes, elegant) looking bail arm! Wonderful!!
We certainly do share a love of unusual old reels.

Another thing we share is having worked for Kodak.
I only worked there for a short time in the 70's, and had planned to be there for many more years, but I had to leave through health issues; it was a great company to work for.
I was at the North Harrow / Wealstone branch (I forget the name of the road out front now....Headstone Drive?).

Anyway, congrats on obtaining yet another amazing looking reel!

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Rockape wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:21 pm Wow! What a funky (and yes, elegant) looking bail arm! Wonderful!!
We certainly do share a love of unusual old reels.

Another thing we share is having worked for Kodak.
I only worked there for a short time in the 70's, and had planned to be there for many more years, but I had to leave through health issues; it was a great company to work for.
I was at the North Harrow / Wealstone branch (I forget the name of the road out front now....Headstone Drive?).

Anyway, congrats on obtaining yet another amazing looking reel!
Small world Rockape.Yes,Headstone Drive.I started at the Harrow site aged 16 and bluffed my way through the following 32yrs.I had no great interest in photography but a large number of family members had Kodak long service medals including my father who did 40yrs so it seemed the obvious place to go.My main focus was 'the girls in the office' and tea breaks.The Kodak Angling Society had some wonderful fishing places.Harefield lake,Thames at Mapledurham,Weston Manor,River Ouse at Haversham and many others.Lots of happy memories of me and dad getting up early for a days fishing.He always used an Intrepid Black Prince and a nondescript and slightly manky 3pc rod,bamboo butt and middle with solid glass tip section.A horrible thing but it caught the occasional fish.My first 'proper' reel was a Mitchell 308 hanging beneath a 14 & half ft glass float rod.It was heavy by modern standards but I didn't know any different.Until recently my float rod was an old B&W Flyer but then a friend gave me a Youngs Of Harrow carbon rod and couldn't believe how little it weighed.Anyway,I've bombarded you with irrelevant information so I will now shut up......Did I mention the girls in the office ? TTFN 😎

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

What a coincidence eh!...lol!
Irrellevant to the thread maybe, but extremely interesting from my point of view.

I started there at the age of 17 in 1977, on a temp basis initially, and yes, of course, the Angling club, how could I have forgotten that! (Harefield lakes, yes; I used to drink at the Rose and Crown in Harefield).

As you will remember, Kodak had the social club too, in which I used to occasionally partake in a Stella or two (sadly without any office girls on the same table).

I did an early shift, going round the place collecting all the waste paper and taking it back to the silver recovery dept (I remember an old balding chap there named John, who was a bit of a character; not someone you would mess with..lol).
I used to get the first H1 bus from my home just off Eastcote lane, near Rooks Heath School.

Small world indeed.

Back (hastilly) to the matter of trad angling...ahem!
I recently acquired a 14' 6" glass fibre rod myself, from a chap at work (Milbro Silver Shadow, I think it is?), along with a 12' Edgar Sealey Black Arrow (2nd version).
Just have to get out an use them later this year (along with a choice of about 150 vintage reels.....I need help..lol!).

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Rockape wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:10 am What a coincidence eh!...lol!
Irrellevant to the thread maybe, but extremely interesting from my point of view.

I started there at the age of 17 in 1977, on a temp basis initially, and yes, of course, the Angling club, how could I have forgotten that! (Harefield lakes, yes; I used to drink at the Rose and Crown in Harefield).

As you will remember, Kodak had the social club too, in which I used to occasionally partake in a Stella or two (sadly without any office girls on the same table).

I did an early shift, going round the place collecting all the waste paper and taking it back to the silver recovery dept (I remember an old balding chap there named John, who was a bit of a character; not someone you would mess with..lol).
I used to get the first H1 bus from my home just off Eastcote lane, near Rooks Heath School.

Small world indeed.

I recently acquired a 14' 6" glass fibre rod myself, from a chap at work (Milbro Silver Shadow, I think it is?), along with a 12' Edgar Sealey Black Arrow (2nd version).
Just have to get out an use them later this year (along with a choice of about 150 vintage reels.....I need help..lol!).
Ah yes Rooks Heath school.During my tenure it was Roxeth Manor.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:50 pm
Rockape wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:10 am What a coincidence eh!...lol!

Small world indeed.

Ah yes Rooks Heath school.During my tenure it was Roxeth Manor.
I've sent you a PM.

Return to “Other Reels”