Old brass/metal bank stick of unknown provenance

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Snufkin
Stickleback

Old brass/metal bank stick of unknown provenance

Post by Snufkin »

I have recently been given a bag (a very nice old canvas Milward fishing bag) of assorted bits of vintage fishing tackle - amongst it was a rather nice extendable bank stick, hopefully the link below will go to a set of pictures. It passes the main test of being useful, old, and attractive, but I'm interested to know if it is a well made custom item, repurposed from something else, or whether it is a purpose made bank stick - if anyone has any information or recognises it please let me know!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zw5QtfNTGQKsnbMF7

John Milford
Grayling

Re: Old brass/metal bank stick of unknown provenance

Post by John Milford »

That's an intriguing item Snufkin.

It looks a very heavy duty construction for a rod rest, although it being found in a fishing bag certainly suggests it was used for that purpose by it's pervious owner.

My guess would be an adjustable monopod shooting rest?
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Snufkin
Stickleback

Post by Snufkin »

I hadn't thought about that - I'm not sure if it is big enough for a shooting rest; the pictures don't give any sense of scale so I've added one to the set with it next to a modern rod rest, a penny, and a cat, to give some sense of size.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Here's a picture of a Milward valise fishing rod and a bank stick from Graham Turner's book. A similar head shape to yours
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Snufkin
Stickleback

Post by Snufkin »

Thanks Harry - it does look similar and the stem/holder construction is similar-ish. Do you know when the Milward one dates from?

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Snufkin wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:54 am Thanks Harry - it does look similar and the stem/holder construction is similar-ish. Do you know when the Milward one dates from?
That rod probably circ 1900
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Snufkin wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:54 am Thanks Harry - it does look similar and the stem/holder construction is similar-ish. Do you know when the Milward one dates from?
An interesting difference with yours is that the ground spike is the solid section, which means that the hight adjustment is from the ground up. That is the opposite way round to the usual bankstick configuration where the hollow section goes into the ground with adjustment at its top.

I wonder if there is a reason for that?
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I think the item probably started out as a device for getting internal measurement's and would have had a point at both ends. They were used by pattern makers to gauge internal diameters of pipes and cylinders.
I think I still have a shorter one somewhere which was originally in a set of three various sized ones. I'll have a look for it later.

Wal.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Here's the smaller one.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”