North country spiders

This section of the forum is for all you fly tying enthusiasts.
Ian
Eel

North country spiders

Post by Ian »

Still born, crippled, blown over duns, there are loads of different patterns, but how many patterns are there, and do we really need them all?
What do you think?
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: North country spiders

Post by Olly »

I love Pritt's book - sparsely dressed flies .

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

For me, tying flies is like taking photographs; I don't need 95% of them but at the time they all hoped to mean something

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Probably not, but they are easy to tie and very effective. A local reservoir has a head of small wild browns as well as stocked rainbows, I have spent many hours catching these browns on small spider patterns, it seems that they work best when a bit worn and tattered.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Liphook wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:01 am For me, tying flies is like taking photographs; I don't need 95% of them but at the time they all hoped to mean something
I couldn’t have put it better liphook, that’s exactly what it’s about. There isn’t much difference between a woodcock and yellow and a partridge and yellow, but like you say they all mean something. :Hat:

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

I don't believe you need every spider pattern to be successful.
Crucian is right, they are simple to tie and pretty much the same except for color. Anyone can tie a dozen spiders in a few minutes.

I'd say find which spider patterns works best for you in the waters you fish and stick with those. No sense in a box full of flies that won't produce positive results.

Ian, that's a beautiful display you have there, cuz.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Iasgair wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:32 pm I don't believe you need every spider pattern to be successful.
Crucian is right, they are simple to tie and pretty much the same except for color. Anyone can tie a dozen spiders in a few minutes.

I'd say find which spider patterns works best for you in the waters you fish and stick with those. No sense in a box full of flies that won't produce positive results.

A half dozen would probably do for a season, but they re fun to tie, and prove that simple is best. There is one pattern I don’t like the look of, the black magic spider. I know what I think has nothing to do with how well it may or may not work, but I don’t like it and I much prefer the plain old black spider.
Thanks iasgair. These are for rab. I have also tied up dries, wets and nymphs for him.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Ian wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:06 am
Iasgair wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:32 pm I don't believe you need every spider pattern to be successful.

A half dozen would probably do for a season, but they re fun to tie, and prove that simple is best. There is one pattern I don’t like the look of, the black magic spider. I know what I think has nothing to do with how well it may or may not work, but I don’t like it and I much prefer the plain old black spider.
Thanks iasgair. These are for rab. I have also tied up dries, wets and nymphs for him.
I agree with you on the black magic pattern. But I found out if you put a little red behind the hackle it more represents a black widow. And like a black widow, it becomes deadly.

I often wondered how a little red on Stewarts Black Spider would produce takes. But I have a hard time tying one up because it just feels sinful.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Iasgair wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:45 pm
Ian wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:06 am

I agree with you on the black magic pattern. But I found out if you put a little red behind the hackle it more represents a black widow. And like a black widow, it becomes deadly.

I often wondered how a little red on Stewarts Black Spider would produce takes. But I have a hard time tying one up because it just feels sinful.
I suppose it depends. The water here being already a peaty red colour, red isn’t always a good colour because I take it, it is harder to see, but a more orange colour works great. An orange tag rather than a red tag works much better. I don’t think there’s anything sinful about it. Whether adding red makes a difference or not I don’t know. I think it’s more to do with them seeing a fly more than anything else. Don’t get me wrong it’s never that simple and if I’m using a fly with a tail and the fish are taking flies without tails then I wouldn’t expect to catch any, and if I did then I’ve annoyed the fish enough haha.

Return to “Fly Tying”