New joiner from Lymington, Hants. Needs some advice.

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Mike Crompton
Bleak

Re: New joiner from Lymington, Hants. Needs some advice.

Post by Mike Crompton »

Hi,
Welcome.
Think about the Chapman range of split cane rods. I use a the 10ft Chapman 500 and find it a very versatile rod. Slightly heavier is the Harvey Torbett 10ft, not easy to find these days.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A Wanless or similar is the way to go. However they are short when fishing overgrown banks - you need a bit more length.

What will it be used for - perch - pike or trout/sea trout?

Wanless rods range from 7ft to 10ft and were made over a long period. Looking at the 2lb x 7ft in the 1934 catalogue the test curve is 6oz. Whilst the 10ft X 9/10lb line version has a t/c of 2.25lb.

Later rods in 1965 are all 6ft10in and are for 4lb: 6lb & 9/10lb lines.

So a variety of rods t/cs and lengths to choose from.

Chapman rods are great - but I don't think so for spinning for pike!
Last edited by Olly on Sun May 26, 2024 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Welcome to the forum David. You live in a lovely place.
I am new to Hampshire, and I am hoping to do some fishing on the Avon this year, so I may contact you to pick your brains if that's ok?
Best wishes
Keith
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Welcome aboard David.
Lots of makers retailed a version of the Lightcaster so it would be very easy to find one without shelling out too much cash and could be the perfect lure rod for chub.

Wal.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Welcome to the TFF!

One question I would ask is, what lure fishing methods do you use? With one exception, they all work fine for me on the S Allcock Lightcaster and a slightly heavier unnamed Milwards spinning rod I have. The exception is Drop Shotting which I use for Chub, Perch and Jack Pike. I simply can’t find a cane rod with the right action to impart a proper bounce action with just a tap of the finger or a dab of the wrist. I believe at least one TFF member has rebuilt a cane fly rod to use for Drop Shotting but that is beyond my abilities.

Best of luck with your search and the angling.

Phi
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

DavidJFenton
Stickleback

Post by DavidJFenton »

Hi all, thanks for the kind welcomes and for the advice - so much to think over. I've been exploring the forum and there's a wealth of information. It's great, especially if you are researching a particular rod or reel to buy. On the questions people asked - Phi/Duckett - my lure fishing is pretty basic, I use fairly small lures (I too had an Allcocks Lightcaster until it broke). I usually pinch the barbs off the lures and sometimes use only one set of hooks. I often fish the Throop sections of the Stour which are quite slow with lots of overhangs, shallows and pools. It's lovely in the summer. There's good chub and barbel there I think. The Avon is pretty close to me but I've never had much success there, except in some of the upper reaches. It's so clear and fast, but a beautiful river. Keith/OldRod - another newbie, like me. Do get in touch if you want to chat, although I'm no expert by any means. I have tried a few of the Avon beats around Christchurch for pike and chub, but not for the barbel. I like to wander around and not sit in one place... Anyway, I'm off to look more into the forum - thanks again all, maybe I'll see some of you on the bank. I'll let you know what I end up with. All best,

David

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

DavidJFenton wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:15 pm Hi all, thanks for the kind welcomes and for the advice - so much to think over. I've been exploring the forum and there's a wealth of information. It's great, especially if you are researching a particular rod or reel to buy. On the questions people asked - Phi/Duckett - my lure fishing is pretty basic, I use fairly small lures (I too had an Allcocks Lightcaster until it broke). I usually pinch the barbs off the lures and sometimes use only one set of hooks. I often fish the Throop sections of the Stour which are quite slow with lots of overhangs, shallows and pools. It's lovely in the summer. There's good chub and barbel there I think. The Avon is pretty close to me but I've never had much success there, except in some of the upper reaches. It's so clear and fast, but a beautiful river. Keith/OldRod - another newbie, like me. Do get in touch if you want to chat, although I'm no expert by any means. I have tried a few of the Avon beats around Christchurch for pike and chub, but not for the barbel. I like to wander around and not sit in one place... Anyway, I'm off to look more into the forum - thanks again all, maybe I'll see some of you on the bank. I'll let you know what I end up with. All best,

David
Cheers David :Hat:
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

The Hardy LRH range of spinning rods could be worth looking at.I have used the LRH Spinning N0 2,and the later LRH Spinning.Both were superb rods to fish with especially if matched with the appropriate reel.Though both were powerful rods.Unfortunately these rods are still expensive.If you can find a Hardy LRH No 1 that you can waggle or even borrow to try.At 8 feet 6 inches its a good length,and light with good power when needed.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Welcome to the forum :Hat:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Another rod for consideration would be the Sharpes Braemar :Hat:

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”