Colin Whitehouse floats

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Snape
Bailiff

Colin Whitehouse floats

Post by Snape »

I was staggered at the price these floats went for today..... :o
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Graduate ... 7675.l2557

I am fortunate enough to have a whole load of Colin's floats most of which are earlier than these. Nearly makes me want to sell them..... but I won't.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

George387
Crucian Carp

Re: Colin Whitehouse floats

Post by George387 »

that's cheap, I've seen them go for over £200 in the past.
Brown Trout maybe Beautiful But Grayling are Gorgeous. "Lets Tackle Cancer" Supporter
The Flee & Float

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

George387 wrote:that's cheap, I've seen them go for over £200 in the past.
I guess it depends what type. These quills are fairly 'normal'. I would think the cork and wood bodied avons etc would go for a lot more. :shocked:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Seems like a ridiculous amount of money for what they are. I presume you are paying for the name and at that price I guess they will never be used, seems a shame
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

George387
Crucian Carp

Post by George387 »

MGs wrote:Seems like a ridiculous amount of money for what they are. I presume you are paying for the name and at that price I guess they will never be used, seems a shame
Have to agree with you there MG, more and more floats are getting that they never see water in their lives....that's sad!
Brown Trout maybe Beautiful But Grayling are Gorgeous. "Lets Tackle Cancer" Supporter
The Flee & Float

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

George387 wrote:
MGs wrote:Seems like a ridiculous amount of money for what they are. I presume you are paying for the name and at that price I guess they will never be used, seems a shame
Have to agree with you there MG, more and more floats are getting that they never see water in their lives....that's sad!
I use mine but will be a bit more careful in future. I have these swan quills but lost one when carp fishing at Adlestrop about 10 years ago. I watched it drift to the shallows and get stuck in an inaccessible place. I should have jumped in and saved it....

DaveM
Rudd

Post by DaveM »

That's just absolute madness. I don't mind paying for originality and rarity to a point, but they just look like nice well made floats.
No disrespect to whoever was the purchaser / bidders but if you're paying that much for a few floats it must be as an investment and not to use, so where has the love of fishing gone?
Just INMHO off course!

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I suppose at the end of the day it is what you want to pay for something. If you want it, like it and can afford who are we to criticize. I know people out there who spend more on a stamp or coin than I do on a rod or reel.

Many years ago someone once said to me whatever thrill and enjoyment you get out of fishing there will be someone who gets just the same thrill and enjoyment from collecting buttons and as I have grown older I understand that is true.

So long as the seller and the buyer are happy that is all that matters.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Still very interesting to see these prices though, isn't it?

I remember 18 months ago when a certain book on floatmaking was suddenly fetching £60. I hope no one bought them as an investment.....because they're back to a Fiver again, now :-(

Now Snape....where exactly did you lose that float again?????

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

I think some of the ridiculously high prices reflect the fact that we live in a society where a very small percentage of people have an absurd amount of money - sometimes acquired very suddenly (for example as in Snape's recent mention of a hedge fund manager's bonus).

Among those with phenomenal wealth will be a few anglers, and among those a handful who are intetrested in acquiring vintage tackle.

The situation then arises where if one of those should want something it is utterly insignificant to them if they pay £500 for something worth £50 or even £5000 for something worth a few hundred pounds.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”