The Monster Gudgeon of Baffins Pond

This forum is for discussing gudgeon.
The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

The Monster Gudgeon of Baffins Pond

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Last evening I attended our club committee meeting. It was as exciting as usual, but my ears pricked up when, for the fourth time now, I heard that there were monster gudgeon living in the pond that had been in there for years.

The pond has gone through its rough times, an algae bloom a few years ago saw it closed for angling for a number of years. But continued work with the EA saw the water regain its fishery status and June last year saw the fishing return to the heart of Portsmouth.

Here is a photo of the old pond, with Farm house, dating 1934.

Here is how the pond looks today…

It paints a much different picture now, and with the amount of birdlife and walkers it is more akin to a day at the seaside than a day’s fishing a secluded pond. But, with these rumours that keep cropping up, I feel myself being drawn to the thought that the pool could contain really big gudgeon, described last evening as ‘Little Barbel’.

I’ll put a day aside to fish for a few hours, perhaps midweek when there are less people around, and see whether these are just mythical stories or if the pond really does harbour fish of dreams.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Re: The Monster Gudgeon of Baffins Pond

Post by Gary Bills »

Do you know, SK, I see and share your enthusiam for gudgeon, and if I were to find a good water nearby, I might be tempted to join the Gobio Gobio Society.
As with many Forum members, I'm sure, I have enjoyed catching gudgeon in the past, including one that broke 1.5lb line above the float! The line was damaged, I think. When I netted the float, the fish was still on there - a delightful, chunky fellow! I weighed my best at around 3oz - from the Worcestershire Stour, when few anglers were fishing it. There were enormous shoals of gudgeon, and most were really chunky. However, as I realise there are problems in getting an accurate weight for such a small fish, using normal scales, the true weight was probably less...

Anyway, I digress - Go for it, SK - fish that pond and break the record for us!
:Thumb: :Sun:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Making the effort to be there first light in the summer months should ensure you see few people for a few hours at least as most of our population don't seem to realise that 4am - 7am exists unless they are very, very drunk and in need of bed. :Thumb:

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

You are right Shaun, and it is on the way to work, in a roundabout sort of way. So a 4am start, get 2 hours in and leave for work. PERFECT!!! :Wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Go for it SK.

I haven't had a Gonk in years.

Gaz

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

But for goodness sake don't use bread! Those ducks and geese will eat you alive :Chuckle:

Gudgeon Jim

Post by Gudgeon Jim »

Can i come please please please :Chuckle:
If anyone told me there was a Big Gudgeon in a puddle id be fishing it

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

More than welcome anytime Jim. Let me case the place, work out about guest tickets and I'll let you know the outcome.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

BlackSheep

Post by BlackSheep »

No a monster but.........................

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Thems the ones...... :Thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Return to “Gudgeon (Gobio gobio)”