ABU 444A Did I do well?

The ABU Reels forum.
Woolly Bear
Chub

Re: ABU 444A Did I do well?

Post by Woolly Bear »

Matt :Tongue: , you cannot help yourself can you , when it comes to pressing that button BID NOW :Hahaha: , im the same too :Hide: :Hair out: , it will be ok when its sorted , you need a new rod now to go with it :Hair out: . Kindest regards . Woolly Bear . :Tongue: :Tongue:

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I've got a mk Iv Wooly. :Tongue:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Had half a day today and sitting here browsing reels has just cost me £85, bonus is there were 2 506M's in very very good condition and a 507 which the seller tells me is lovely, IF they are then it must be the bargain of the year :Happy:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

My 444A turned up today. It was stiff when it arrived and the drag not working too well. The bail arm didn't click itself open.

I tinkered with it after leaving it to soak In boiling soapy water for an hour. I cleaned all the gunk out and dried it thoroughly. The bail arm started to set itself after fiddling with it, so the spring hadn't gone (which I feared) and the drag I got a load of grit out of and now it's working fine.

Now I'm stuck asking myself the question which reel do a like the best for carp, this one or my mitchell 300?

I'll just have to buy another carp rod and take them both along with me.

This reel was a bargain at £12.99 plus postage and I think some of Nobby's reel fettling passion has rubbed off on me. :Wink:

Izaak Walton

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Good show Matty :Thumb:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

BeechmereLake wrote:Yes there is, what is your number?
In the 1950's the initial numbering was a little bit of a guess as to how it worked but many collectors esp of the ambassadeur had their theory's, that was until 1963 when things became a lot clearer.
If I take for example an ABU 505 for example the first dated reels started in 1964 even though they came out in 1962, so a number like 030400 would mean the 03 = March, 04 would = 1964, and 00 would = the first production run of this model.
This went on until 1971 when Abu changed the dating system stamped on the reels, you would now look at a number for example 710801 and this would mean
71 = year of manufacture 08 would = the month of August and 01 would = the reel has become a variation of the 1st model, the initial model having 00 on the end of its serial number.

Hope this helps date your reel
Thanks ever so much Beechmerelake.

Mine is the Svangsta version and the number is 110900, so I'm thinking that's November=11 09=1969 ? and it's the first production run?

Izaak Walton

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Spot on sir :Hat:

"BB"

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

BeechmereLake wrote:Spot on sir :Hat:
I have a fine Ambassadeur 5000 C, bought new in Sweden summer of '71,
but the number is 167960, how does that fit in the system, BL?

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

I am no aficionado on anything to do with Ambassadeurs but I think the serial numbering on these reels has a lot to do with side plates being ribbed and or smooth reel foot instead of chequered.
What I can do is give you these details of my good friend Wayne Real from Australia who has the biggest website in the world for Abu products, he is a great guy and will help you if you need anything.

http://www.realsreels.com/reels/ambassa ... reels.aspx

"BB"

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Good morning BL the serial number on the foot of my 444A is 030600 so using the coding it would date my reel at March 1966...?
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “ABU Reels”