Abu Cardinal 66 fettled.

The ABU Reels forum.
Moley
Brown Trout

Re: Abu Cardinal 66 fettled.

Post by Moley »

The ABU Cardinal 66 is a very reliable reel and if looked after should last forever. The internal workings, despite being 'worm geared' are made of brass/copper so don't rust or wear, unless totally abused and are reasonably easy to fettle and grease.

With two bail springs this reel should not let you down when needed.

The only downside to this reel is the line lay and relatively narrow spool but if long casting is not required is ideal for any of the larger coarse fish that swim in British waters. It is also ideal for Salmon Spinning too! :Thumb:

I use my 66 for rolling meat in weedy rivers after Barbel, it copes admirably.

An unsung hero to my mind but with all this praise just watch the ebay prices rise from now on :Wink:

As ever,....

Mole Power!!! :cheers:
Say aye tae'a pie!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think the price has already gone through the roof Moley, just have a look on eBay:

Though this chap always gets the best prices:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abu-Cardinal- ... 7675.l2557

I'm told the 66X has rather poorer line lay still, presumably due to the high speed and our pal on the other forum puts the line onto his 66X spools with his 66 reel......

I thought the two bale arm springs a bit OTT and removed one, but there's no denying that clutch...it's a beauty!

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

The seller you refer to Nobby is a retired old gentleman who spends his time refurbishing cardinal reels, to a very high standard I mite add, upset many people with his refurbs but fair play to him he lets you know any reel he sells is refurbed, its what happens to the reel after being sold that people should worry about, I have a 66 he refurbed, bought as a refurbished reel so I have something to go on when buying genuine reels, its a credit to the chap for the work he puts into them and one I will use.
P.O.D the 66X is my favourite as I say but the next few hundred pounds will be spent on the 44X when one comes around :Thumb:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I don't mind saying mine cost £65 with free postage. I've been watching Abu for a while and I thought with free postage it was about what they're going for. I asked a few questions and the chap seemed genuine and was forth coming with answers, so I'm happy enough. Plus he says both spools have recently been loaded with Maxima 8 & 10lb so happy times.

I do like the brown and cream reels.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

I love the colour of them and they look wonderful, there was a 44X all in the brown color as shown in Marco's book on page 236, that does look nice but a very rare reel and maybe a one-off
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Return to “ABU Reels”