Does anyone use a bread / meat punch

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Aitch
Pike

Re: Does anyone use a bread / meat punch

Post by Aitch »

for fishing liquidised bread and punched bread you need to get a slightly stale loaf (put two slices aside for your hookbait) and cut off the crusts and wazz it in the liquidiser, this is your feed, then take the two slices you put aside and cut of the crusts and flatten them with a rolling pin or milk bottle..... (you can steam them so they go a bit doughy, but I don't bother) for small hooks (ie size 22-16) use the smaller punches..... punch out a pellet and feed the hook through the slot in the side of the punch and push the hook point through the pellet of bread.... feed a pinch of the liquidised bread and fish the punched bread over the top, this method is a killer for roach and crucians
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

thanks for the info BL.

i've been thinking ( maybe too much )

how do you floatfish the punched bread due to it's bouyancy ? a shot near the hook ?
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Maybe a number six on the hook length, but I don't like putting weight on the hook link as a rule.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

the purpose of rolling the bread is to make it sink slowly, the bread punch will compress the bread further so the weight of the hook will sink it naturally.... fish it with a light float with a small shot no closer than about 8" from the hook.... :Thumb:

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Addendum..... if you feed the liquidised bread and it floats away from your float, you can do one of two things.... compress the bread tightly with your fingers so it sinks.... or slightly wet the bread, this will definitely make it sink, but don't over-wet it otherwise it goes a tad sloppy, although it should still work well :Thumb:

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

After reading the linked blog I have to agree with what he has to say.
The only real difference is the I always use the freshest bread possible and that I use various sized syringes, with the ends cut off as punches. I use these as they allow me to punch multiple discs of bread then compress them together using the plunger.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Wandler

Post by Wandler »

'If you drilled a tunnel straight through the Earth and jumped in, it would take you 42 minutes 12 seconds to get to the other side.'

You would have to jump in head-first otherwise when you popped out the other side you'd be the wrong way up! :Confused:

RobTheRake
Silver Bream

Post by RobTheRake »

LuckyLuca wrote:After reading the linked blog I have to agree with what he has to say.
The only real difference is the I always use the freshest bread possible and that I use various sized syringes, with the ends cut off as punches. I use these as they allow me to punch multiple discs of bread then compress them together using the plunger.
Ingenious! Anglers are such resourceful chaps :Thumb: . In similar vein, I use a 12mm Seymo Lunch Punch; 6 to 8 discs compressed together and hair-rigged makes a great pop-up bottom bait. You can fish it at any depth up to the surface, zig-rig style, although my preference is to pop it up just a couple of inches off-bottom in conjunction with a cage feeder filled with liquidised bread.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I've occasionally used a large metal "syringe" punch to create disks of flake.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”