Is Chris a Cult

This forum belongs to Chris Yates.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: Is Chris a Cult

Post by Snape »

Ron Clay wrote:An ultra cultist wore a dirty old combat jacket and had hair down to his shoulders and a long straggly beard. His rod were painted mat black and his rod pod and alarms (you had to have Optonics) were painted in matt camo.
And you sat behind a camo hide, and you looked as miserable as sin, especially when you were photographed with a big fish.
Were you an Ultra Cultist?
I once met Pete Overend Watts ex-Mott the Hoople whilst fishing. Many years ago as a reaction to this sort of ultra cultist he ordered three glass carp rods in bright pink. He calls them pinky, perky and porky! :hahaha:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Chris Ball
Bleak

Post by Chris Ball »

Snape wrote:
Ron Clay wrote:An ultra cultist wore a dirty old combat jacket and had hair down to his shoulders and a long straggly beard. His rod were painted mat black and his rod pod and alarms (you had to have Optonics) were painted in matt camo.
And you sat behind a camo hide, and you looked as miserable as sin, especially when you were photographed with a big fish.
I once met Pete Overend Watts ex-Mott the Hoople whilst fishing. Many years ago as a reaction to this sort of ultra cultist he ordered three glass carp rods in bright pink. He calls them pinky, perky and porky! :hahaha:

It’s true I saw him using them at Longfield in 1987.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Chris Ball wrote:
Snape wrote:

Mine was more recent - Redmire 2004 and still using them...
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Ron Clay

Post by Ron Clay »

Chris Ball wrote:
Snape wrote:

You can buy wellies in bright pink nowadays!

I remember getting "The Carp", the magazine from the BCSG wherein many of the members at the time were
portrayed. They all had long matted hair and beards not unlike Abu Qatada.

Did you have a long beard Chris.

Chris Ball
Bleak

Post by Chris Ball »

Ron Clay wrote:
Chris Ball wrote:
Snape wrote:

You can buy wellies in bright pink nowadays!

I remember getting "The Carp", the magazine from the BCSG wherein many of the members at the time were
portrayed. They all had long matted hair and beards not unlike Abu Qatada.

Did you have a long beard Chris.

Ron,
Have never been able to grow hair on my body - I have hairless legs which always raise a titter when spied by the fairer sex. The day men landed on the moon in July 1969 I decided to mark the event by growing a mustache. By October I had half a dozen longish hairs on my upper lip - it was a disaster!

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

Ron,
Have never been able to grow hair on my body - I have hairless legs which always raise a titter when spied by the fairer sex. The day men landed on the moon in July 1969 I decided to mark the event by growing a mustache. By October I had half a dozen longish hairs on my upper lip - it was a disaster!
Chris, why would you want to grow hair on your body? my problem has always been too much which always raises a scream from the fairer sex!
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Nah!
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I seem to remember it was one of the Gibbinson brothers who gave us the term "ultra-cult" - think Rick(?) coined it and Jim mentioned it in an article. I always thought it would make a great name for a band.
No sooner identified than targetted, one of the scene adopted the pen-name Matt Black, (it was said someone might get rich by selling matt black loo paper in packs of a dozen sheets with a picture of a carp on the label - substitute realshrub for matt black and here we go again), and took the Mickey royally.
To digress a bit, it was nothing compared to match-anglers ribbing each other. Frank Barlow's accounts of the Midlands match scene were enough to justify buying the A.T., and before him, "Snide Rumours and Dirty Lies" (Coarse Fisherman?) was, in itself, something of a cult - if you were mentioned, you were definitely on the scene. Like most readers, I was left wondering who the hell all these people were, but you could catch the "buzz" of the match scene, even at third hand.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Ah, the great Coarse Fisherman,

I loved snide rumours, memories of reading CF at lunchtime in my Celler cum ammo store at Holland and Holland in late 1980.

First time i read anything by CY was in CF.

Gaz

John Davis

Post by John Davis »

I think Chris's first ever article was in a mag called Angling, and I'm sure it was about catching carp on an imitation white moth. I think fishing magazines went downhill (for me) around the end of the eighties, too many adverts and one trick ponies writing about the same subject matter over, and over again.

Return to “Chris Yates”