The Plowman 507 - the best closed face reel ever produced

The ABU Reels forum.
BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Re: The Plowman 507 - the best closed face reel ever produce

Post by BeechmereLake »

Tengisgol wrote:May I just ask please, if I were looking to aquire a 'best of the best' 507, which model do you think I should go for and how would I then contact Mr Plowman to seek the modifications?

Many thanks.
The 507MK1 didn't change much from the early 70's and just into the 80's, the problem you will have is finding a new one, most of them that are new come with a box and can be anything up to £170.00, once you have had the reel altered then the box is pretty much living empty but still worth a few pounds.
I know a chap in Wolverhampton who may have the NOS parts to build one but in all fairness you will be better to give the full money to the man himself.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I have just found this page/link which assists! It does look very impressive.

http://www.collectablevintagetackle.co. ... ixed-spool
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Liking the spool being so shallow, that's a big plus on these reels

"BB"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

If I was trotting at 100 yards I'd need binoculars to see the float and an electric motor on the reel :Hahaha: But I have to say that a closed face reel with all of the niggles engineered out of it would have a worthy place in the long trotters arsenal.

Butdim
Ruffe

Post by Butdim »

Tengisgol wrote:When I get home though I am going to look into the Plowman suggestion because it sounds like these mods may have cracked some if not all of these issues - would you say that is the case?
I'm not aware of any issues that the Plowman 507 hasn't resolved. Dave's custom spool takes 70/80 yards of 3 or 4lb line (depending on the line's diameter) and the only time I've noticed any bedding in is after a hard fight with a silver tourist. On these rare occasions one trot down to the end of the swim sorts it.

The casting with the various modifications is superb...

Butdim
Ruffe

Post by Butdim »

Tengisgol wrote:May I just ask please, if I were looking to aquire a 'best of the best' 507, which model do you think I should go for and how would I then contact Mr Plowman to seek the modifications?

Many thanks.
The example in the for sale section of this forum is exactly what you're after and is immediately available.
It is the long handle version, if you think that is of any importance.
If you need any more information, the link elsewhere in this thread to my website will give you my phone number, and I'll be pleased to discuss it with you.

Dave Plowman is a private man and doesn't want to be pestered (any more than he is already!) with enquiries about centrepins, so any queries about the 507s should be directed towards me.

thanks, Tim

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Thanks Tim, I have now realised that it was a link to your website that I posted :Chuckle:

From what I can see, it does sound like a Rolls Royce of a closed face reel. I will shake out the back of the sofa and see what that gifts me!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

I have to be honest the 506 gear, main and pinion, can fit into the 507 to alter the gearing, seen it done before, add a shallow spool and make it even shallower so you trott 50yds line bedding is a thing of the past, again what people forget is these reels were not designed for match fishing but Pike and Salmon fishing, with the heavy gauge lines needed for that type of fishing many of the problems with this reel were never there, abu made a brilliant reel in my honest opinion.

"BB"

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Who was it used to use a 506 for barbel fishing in the 1970's? It was a fairly famous angler and he did release a video of barbel fishing on the Severn. Clearwater Productions I think the film company was.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

I know Mal Storey used 507's for feeder fishing for barbel on the Severn

ATB Macko

Return to “ABU Reels”