Abu 66 - my new carp winch

The ABU Reels forum.
Old Nell

Re: Abu 66 - my new carp winch

Post by Old Nell »

Thanks guys.Off to the bay of evil now to make a decision. As BB says " a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating.
Regards Mark

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The 66 is a great reel, but the spool lip is a bit harsh and the line-lay is...well, a bit old fashioned.

If you don't find this an issue the clutch alone will win you over.

Mitchells just got the line-lay issue right earlier than most and they were able, due to the design, to play with retrieve ratios and gearing to their heart's content. The Mitchell clutch can be made smooth by making your own friction washers so that with its superior line-lay you might think it the better reel.....but Abu got so many other things right first time.

I like Mitchells because I can fiddle and fettle and sometimes improve them..the ABU 66 I found little to improve on quite frankly. I re-profiled the spool lip and that was about it....you can't change the line lay so you just have to lump it.

But such a reel, be it Altex, Ambidex or Abu ( they are very similar in basic design...if not manufacturing quality ), with a wider spool and good line lay would be some reel...

If Abu or Hardy had done to the 66 or Altex what Youngs did at the last minute to the Mark Nine Ambidex and Ambidex Match that would be the reel we would all be clamouring for.

I await watermole+'s next project with quiet anticipation.......
Last edited by Nobby on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CafeRacer
Dace

Post by CafeRacer »

I have the US version Zebco Cardinal 6.It`s got a silent anti reverse though.Its a super smooth reel and the drag is outstanding.
"Crazy,toys in the attic I am crazy,truly gone fishing."

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I used a Cardinal 66 for a season or two, but switched to Mitchells, because - as Nobby says, the line-lay wasn't too great with the 66, and with fluorocarbon it was dire. I don't like the sliding switch anti-reverse either, because it cost me a large fish at "Clay Farm", when biggish fish were there. My careless fault - the clutch set too hard - a panic, - a fumble, as I tried to go to anti-reverse, instead of rear drag..a schoolboy error, but one that would not have happened with a 300. I was broken...
On the positive side - what a powerful winch! I think a 66 could cope with anything. I remember pumping a few doubles away from nasty snags, and thinking "this is the reel!" A Mitchell 300 never feels that smooth under heavy pressure, and the closest Mitchell I've used to that smooth "66" feeling is the 410A - probably down to the ball-bearings. But even here is a trade-off, because both the 66 and the 410A are a bit "fly" compared to the 300, in that I don't like a handle that can move so freely, by itself, when I'm stalking. In a tight and tense spot, that can lead to an unforeseen bird's nest. With this in mind, I think I'm still a big 300 fan for stalking...

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I can't choose between my Mitchell 400, 410 or my new 66 for carp fishing. I think it's going to be the 66, thats why I bought it after all, but I do still love my Mitchell's.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Prince of Durham wrote:I can't choose between my Mitchell 400, 410 or my new 66 for carp fishing. I think it's going to be the 66, thats why I bought it after all, but I do still love my Mitchell's.
Nice to have a choice in any case! :Hat:

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

I used my 66 for a few years for piking and carping and iam not really satisfied of the drag
of this reel.I cleaned it a few times but it doesnot really go faultless and smooth.
I now prefer a ABU cardinal 155 which has a MUCH better drag ...

The 66 is no bad reel but there are better..

Try it out,perhaps you have a better one than I...

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

I have never used a 77X or owned one until today, after months of working hard I decided to treat myself to the one many would of seen on eBay this week.
It arrived today and I have to say has never been used, it is quite a lump of a reel at the front with the extra large rotor, everything else is exactly the same as the Abu Cardinal 66X. Manufactured for 2 years there wont be too many in the condition this one is in unless like this one the buyer never used it.
Its now the best reel in my collection until I find a (like new) Cardinal 44X in the same colour. Enjoy
I will still get the 66X out this summer but this one is staying in the warm :Hat:

" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I was watching that BML, more out of interest than actual desire. Very nice looking reel and as you say never used by the looks of it.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

I thought maybe the reel would go over the sum I had on it but fortunately I got it well under my maximum bid, the reel belonged to a lad who had cleared out his uncles house after his uncle passed on, his fear was it would go to some shark (as he put it) to make a profit but I assured him it was staying here and he was well happy.
I couldn't find a single mark on it from being used not even on the reel foot.
One interesting thing I noticed on the box was it was bought in 1979, different because these reels were only made from 1976-78, so the reel was still in the shop for sale when manufacturing of this model had ceased, with the small numbers ABU could manufacture you would of thought the reel would of sold out well before then.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Return to “ABU Reels”